Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Irrigation and Lighting: My short story.

I started in the industry when I was sixteen working for the City of Irving Parks Department. We did landscape maintenance for parks and ball fields. I worked there during the summers through high school and two years of college.

I eventually went full time for five years. During that time a licensed irrigator took me under his wing and taught me the ropes. I learned to love irrigation and decided to get my irrigation license. Although working for a city you don't necessarily need it, but I figured one day I may venture out on my own.

The year was 1996. I got my license and as the years went by I got an itch to be in business for myself. I made a five year plan. I decided to finally leave the city. I searched out a commercial irrigation company to work for to get me out of the city mind set and some experience in the private sector. I worked there for almost a year. I decided I didn't like commercial work. Not enough interaction with people.

I realized I needed product experience. I sought out a local supplier and got hired on there. My product knowledge grew, along with my contact list. I really enjoyed dealing with other irrigators doing what I wanted to do. I put in my two years and made my decision. I was out on working under a boss, and in on becoming my own.

I gave my two week notice and sent out seventy five letters to the contacts I had made. Five or six answered needing an irrigator to do some work. The rest is history.

I've been in business now for eleven years. I do irrigation service for residential customers. I also install and repair low voltage landscape lighting. I love troubleshooting and happy customers.

I've been married fourteen years this June to my wonderful wife and have one son.