Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

IDK, Its been a while since I used a larger Exmark. But if your trying to cut 8" of wet thick grass down to 3", thats might be the problem right there. Today was the first real day for mowing for us and we were cutting down serious cabbage at a few places, had to double cut most places. But the Gravely's cut right through it but our decks are set at 4" right now. No mowhawks or trails of any kind just a lot of soupy green mush. If I remember right, we used to have an Exmark Viking and it would leave a row of uncut grass when it was thick and tall.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Your deck isn't plugged with grass is it? I find that Gators tend to make a mushy mess and clog my deck when I'm cutting tall juicy spring grass.
Bam! This is what I think. You have buildup under your deck. Clean that thing out.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I'm embarrassed to admit that the mower deck, even with only 25 hours since last cleaning was the worst I had EVER seen it, took me a while to get it all cleaned out so I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow see if I get the Mohawk if not I'll be cleaning each night to keep from going through this, any tips on keeping deck clean abd clear of buildup
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMProperty View Post
Well I'm embarrassed to admit that the mower deck, even with only 25 hours since last cleaning was the worst I had EVER seen it, took me a while to get it all cleaned out so I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow see if I get the Mohawk if not I'll be cleaning each night to keep from going through this, any tips on keeping deck clean abd clear of buildup
Posted via Mobile Device
Whenever I see this it's due to grass buildup. Scrape it and never use gator blades. I use the mulching wavy blades on mine and it does a great job, the high lifts work too they just don't cut the clippings as small.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I scrape my mower decks every evening before putting the mowers away...well I at least check them...sometimes they don't need it. Sometimes they get done between mows or even during mows if the grass is tall and wet and it starts spitting clumps. This time of year its been a daily thing. I find that when I'm running the Ultravac on my Lazer it rarely needs scraping.

Some people spray the underside of their decks with products to reduce buildup. I never have.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering about the same mohawk problem, except I have a bush hog ztr. We use High lift gator blades. They are razor sharp and the deck is completly free of grass buildup. The blades are balanced, and we are cutting the grass at a good height. Not taking to much off. The part that really confuses me is I expect it not to cut so good in southern Il typical yard of weeds, but this yard I'm referring to is 100% grass, and very well maintained. I hit a hidden stump (different yard) earlier in the year with it and busted off a blade, but I would think that if that were the problem the deck would vibrate or shake or something, but she runs nice and smooth. The spindles are greased very regular as well. All the info I can think of. Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMProperty View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Depending on the grass conditions I have seen times when I needed to scrape the Exmark after every lawn or two. Ultra Cuts need to be watched closely, especially in the lush Spring grass, clover, crabgrass or any other type condition that will cause grass to clump or stick together. I have literally filled up a 5 gallon bucket of build up. This is especially true when the paint wears off the bottom. Ultra Cuts may require a little more scraping but leave a great cut when everything is right. (I only scrape my Turf Tigers a fraction as much).
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get mohawks with my 52" UltraCut with Gator blades in the spring. So I use the Gators only for fall and early spring cleanups, then switch back to high-lifts for spring growth.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowed for 4 hours today in some nice thick grass...deck already needs cleaned, I kept the gator blades on and slowed down no Mohawks, but I'm switching blades tomorrow to see about speed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I need to find less costly blades, got Exmark high lift notched this morning 16$/pc
Posted via Mobile Device