Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Hate these things to ...I just mow as close as i can and thats it ...The flags will only be there for a week or 2 until the dog gets used to where the line is .....I will not remove and replace these flags ..Tell the dog company to come over and remove them and put them back when you are done ..I bet they wont do it so why should i ...Unless there is a little xtra $$$ in it for me ....Time is money ..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i've seen those things in yards and i'm like that sux...who in their right mind would want all of those little flags in their yard?.....it just looks dumb and they are in the way of mowing...i've never had to mow a yard with them in it but i can imagine how much of a pain it would be...just mow like normal and then weave in and out of them i guess lol
They put them there when they have a invisible fence installed. The dog needs to know where it can go without getting zapped. They only need to be there a few weeks. I don't see a problem with it. The two customers I have that had them installed didn't have a problem when I told them there's going to be a strip of grass that won't get cut until they can remove them. Both said that it's fine. I told them when they do pull them up, I'll be back to normal with the mowing. THEY ARE TEMPORARY.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

use them as a driving course lol thats what i did just zig zag thru then both ways them mowed as normal you said they were 6 feet apart i think your mower would fit thru that i had one lawn that had close to 200 it didn't take much longer than a regular mow i don't trim around them tho but i only leave like a 6" circle if that around each flag
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
They should only need to be there but a few weeks. Just cut around them until they can be removed. That's what I did. I wouldn't even trim anything close to them, just leave it longer near the flags. It's only going to be a few weeks and then they can be removed.

I'm confused. You said you left and found another lawn to mow. You didn't bother to do a scheduled lawn? Wouldn't that throw your schedule off?
I went back and mowed it yesterday. I brought a can of white marking paint, marked the locations, pulled them up, mowed and put them back. I left some of them near the edges. I put them back while I was trimming so it didn't take long. Now that I have the locations marked it should go pretty quick next week.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't your standard buried invisible fence. There is no wire. The transmitter sends out a signal in a circular radius. It's when the collar no longer picks up the signal that the collar is activated. Like I said previously, I've dealt with flags in a nice line before, but never is a circle.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like Topsites idea as well as the marking paint.

One of the problems with flags (in general) is that no one removes them. Said company needs to do said work...Calls in for locates...Said work performed...Flags left to become a permenant fixture.

So, I pay attention to who calls in the locates and when the work is performed. Then I remove them.