Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
Do our troops not get paid enough to have their lawns cut?
Its a volunteer thing. An E4 or below with kids living in town because base housing is full are on a tight budget. Some wives have never operated a mower. I have done many that led to regular service. Hiring a lawn service is last on most guys deployment checklist. Like Milo said Karma will come back to haunt you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I just did a total clean up and mulch job on a new customer. Want to keep him but he is stuck on this mow as needed routine and only wants to pay $20. I told him I can do it for $35.00 if he only going to have me cut twice a month and a foot high each time. Want to get my foot.in that neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGreenLawn View Post
I just did a total clean up and mulch job on a new customer. Want to keep him but he is stuck on this mow as needed routine and only wants to pay $20. I told him I can do it for $35.00 if he only going to have me cut twice a month and a foot high each time. Want to get my foot.in that neighborhood.
Posted via Mobile Device
you sound too desperate. he will eat you alive promising things only to renege. better to blanket the area you want to work in with fliers instead of trying to get in by lowballing.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

right now my cheapest lawn is 35 dollars it's bi weekly, and the backyard is only 30x60 if even that, and the front lawn is 9x12, with my little 48" tiger cub it takes me about 15 mins and im done. I probably use 2 dollars of gas between the mower, trimmer, and backpack, and it's in between two lawns I have one is about 5000sq. ft. very little trimming she pays 40 dollars. another is under 2000sq. ft. she also pays 40 dollars. I'm not getting rich doing this just yet. but for the 12 accounts I have and living at home still, I'm doing alright. It's just tough to price bigger commercial accounts and not get out bid, by the bigger guys around here, who will send 2 61" mowers and a 2 guys trimming and do an acre of grass for 40 dollars. cut, trim, blow. They stay busy, and have been around for at least 15 years.

Last edited by RSK Property Maintenance; 05-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGreenLawn View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Lowballing your way in only gets you more customers that want work done for next to nothing. When your lowball customer refers you to their neighbors and tells them about your low prices the neighbors will expect similar pricing because of that and won't hire you at fair market value. If they saw your work and you charged fair market value they then would expect to pay the same. It wouldn't even be that they wouldn't be willing to pay a fair price but if you charge one customer 35 bucks to cut their lawn and the neighbor has the same size lawn and you want to charge them 50 so you can make some money the customer will think that you are ripping them off.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People watch too many "priceline.com" commercials. They believe that every business will be happy with "some" money over "no" money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Surprised no one said what if you lost all the lawns near it, would you still make money traveling out of your way to do it? Don't get cocky and price lower just because it's next to your other lawns. You never know what can happen and if you lose the lawns near that one you are better off losing that little lawn as well!.
Great point I never let customers know other accounts are near them. If you get dropped you are wasting time traveling to that part of town for one lawn. Getting more accounts closer together is what makes mowing profitable or worth doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow milo. You must be aggrivated and someone/something. First off, 4 minutes of work doesn't exist. Unless you lived next door, didn't do any trimming or blowing, you are at 4 minutes of work by the end of the 10X10 foot area.

I read back a few pages, and no one I saw stated that they do a 10 foot square area for $30. If they are they're smoking crack and trying to get folks riled up (which they are succeeding at). I've got to agree with a couple guys already... why are you in it then if you think this business sucks and is a joke. So much negativity. We need to stick together as LCO's instead of bickering about prices.

I live 30 minutes north of my base of operations and I'll say again what I've said before. The price you can bid will depend on where you live. Where I live I wouldn't be able to bid the same as I do where our business is. Plain and simple. Do some people take advantage of affulent customers? Maybe... most likely I mean.

Dude, when you lay down your head at night and you say you've done the best you can for the day and treated people right (like you would want to be treated) then you've done a great job. Don't worry about what other people do with their money or time.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bickering by the way not only about prices, but equipment, styles of cutting, etc.

As long as the equipment you use is professional grade you should stick like glue to the other LCO's on here and defend eachother.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws