Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb Expanding into Holiday Lighting

I am thinking of expanding into holiday lighting. Do you have any suggestions on which company to go with? Is a franchise the best and only route?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SainLawncare View Post
I am thinking of expanding into holiday lighting. Do you have any suggestions on which company to go with? Is a franchise the best and only route?

If you already have a really good client base and are in good standing with the community... then I wouldn't go with a franchise. You will have lower start up costs and most likely will make the same $$$.

Your biggest concern should be learning how to market and how to install. If I were you, I would keep it pretty simple your first year so you don't get overwhelmed!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm also looking to get into holiday lighting. My biggest concern is height safety. Everything we do now is on the ground, does anyone have tips for installing lights on 2 and 3 story houses or commercial buildings?

My guys are fearless, and would climb a building like spiderman if I let them, but I can't have them falling off ladders/buildings.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you end up using a lift, the company is required by law to provide you with harness' that will have a lanyard that will hook into the basket. My bucket truck also has tie off points. I almost fell off a roof a few yers ago, ok, the fourth time, I finally got down. The next day I went to a tree climbing store and dropped the money on a harness, ropes, etc. I have a few projects that are only accessible by ladder, and end up all the way at the top. You will be surprised how quickly you can make a roof line connection. Then of course back down you go, down comes the ladder, over a couple feet and then back up. Unfortunately, I have nothing to tie off to at these homes, so no other option.

I do have a few trees that are 30' plus and one project that a wreath is 70 plus feet up. The trees are bucket truck, and the wrath is an 80' boom lift. There are also 19 trees that get done with min i lights at the project the wreath is on, the bucket truck gets used there as well.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor

Tags
christmas light business , expanding business , franchise , holiday light business , holiday lights , suggestions