Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always bought a mower in new condition! However the Superduty 42" I just bought was a little weathered, but nothing major, I knew this and it was heavily discounted, I guess I saved about 2 grand,

If I were you I would just walk! Don't feel obligated, they should have specified that this mower was in bad shape. I would wait to hear if they are going to make you an offer, but I would get my money back and go get something else!!!!! I really do not understand why dealers let these machines sit out by the road in all types of weather? They are just losing money!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay...follow-up. Went to the dealer today...when I walked in the door they said the ExMark distributor had not gotten back in touch with them yet. I followed your advice and told them that I didn't want the mower...that I wanted my money back. With only a little bitching, i.e., "After all the trouble I went to"...I got it back. I did mention to them that if they'd called me when it came in they wouldn't have had to have installed the mulching kit.

Drove over to the other ExMark dealer and bought their Quest SP...like new. It will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Celebrated with a Starbucks coffee on the way home.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
So true...but really it's sad that a good deed can't be accepted as such. In this money hungry world, everybody is trying to sue someone...I wouldn't be surprised if something 'suiable' (don't think that's a word...) could be found in the law books for doing a good deed as mowing someones yard (aside from throwing a stone from the mower deck and busting a window).

Kevin
If you are mowing on a property not your own and do damage you can be held liable for it. One would think people would accept the act as a good deed and either forgive the damage or accept some partial payment for it but that is often not the case. After nearly twenty years of practicing law you would be surprised what people will want to file suit over; well you would be surprised I am jaded enough not to be shocked by anything anymore.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfingers View Post
Okay...follow-up. Went to the dealer today...when I walked in the door they said the ExMark distributor had not gotten back in touch with them yet. I followed your advice and told them that I didn't want the mower...that I wanted my money back. With only a little bitching, i.e., "After all the trouble I went to"...I got it back. I did mention to them that if they'd called me when it came in they wouldn't have had to have installed the mulching kit.

Drove over to the other ExMark dealer and bought their Quest SP...like new. It will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Celebrated with a Starbucks coffee on the way home.
There you go! Congrats on the new purchase, Be sure to post some pics! Not many Quest owners around the board, so it will be nice to hear a little about the machine. It will be like Christmas day tomorrow when they drop off that shinny new mower! Have fun!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-13-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

ZTR Use Questions

I am relatively new to mowing & definitely new to ZTR. I am a trustee at a church with a little over 2 acres. We've been repairing our standard ride on Craftsman Tractor about every two weeks for the years & are finally done. I am looking at ZTR's. Specifically, some already mentioned (not looking for answers on which tractor right now) Comm- SCAG FReedom Z, Exmark ?? , Snapper Pro S150, & Residential - TOROTime Cutter Z.

My questions now are: We cut around a parking lot, driveway, about 10 trees, playground, house, shed, dumpster, large church building, elevation changes, etc. We use volunteers. Is a ZTR with the push pull handles a good idea in these conditions with unexperience ZTR'ers? or should we go with something like Club Cadets iseries ZTR?

I ask because I read someone elsewhere in here mentioning how the ZTR's don't have standard throttle & brakes & I am a little apprehensive in letting noob's jump on a 5k tractor & go at it.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I can only base my answer on my own limited experience...I've only gotten to use my ZTR twice for a total of 2 hours and I'm still nervous/apprehensive/looking for the brake and speed control down around my feet. When the dealer delivered it to me they had me run it around on my driveway and in the yard without cutting anything just to get a feel for it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it....but I have a feeling a first time volunteer will be a little spastic for a while before they the hang of it. I have no experience with the Cub Cadet and their steering wheel system so I can't comment on how that would be.
Good luck...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO it is a short learning curve it's not that difficult to master quickly. As for stopping it's never been an issue with me.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat Fastcat Pro 52"...in The Wild.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking and reading here for several weeks in my quest to "upgrade" my 1995 AYP 42"/18hp B&S lawnmower. There is plenty of good information here, and I thank everyone for their contributions as I shopped around in my anal-retentive ways.

I wanted to stay around $5k, and my first choice was the Husqvarna MZ6128. The 23" rear tires and the 13" front tires would be excellent on the somewhat bumpy terrain I mow on. Loved this mower overall, but had to pass due to the fact that I store my mower in part of my basement, and the door opening is 64" - which would've left only 1.5" total on the mower deck edges. After much deliberation about this, I passed - even though I never got to test drive one.

Although the price was higher than I wanted to spend, I also strongly considered the Hustler Fastrak 54". This thing drove great - stick action was smooth, and the 13" front tires and standard ROPS were a plus.
The negatives
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^^ I accidentally posted before I was finished, and now the 10-minute edit window has closed.

Mods/admins: here's the real text; please change my original post if you don't mind. Thanks

Bobcat Fastcat Pro 52"...in The Wild.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking and reading here for several weeks in my quest to "upgrade" my 1995 AYP 42"/18hp B&S lawnmower. There is plenty of good information here, and I thank everyone for their contributions as I shopped around in my anal-retentive ways.

I wanted to stay around $5k, and my first choice was the Husqvarna MZ6128. The 23" rear tires and the 13" front tires would be excellent on the somewhat bumpy terrain I mow on. Loved this mower overall, but had to pass due to the fact that I store my mower in part of my basement, and the door opening is 64" - which would've left only .75" clearance on each side of the deck. After much deliberation about this, I passed - even though I never got to test drive one.

Although the price was higher than I wanted to spend, I also strongly considered the Hustler Fastrak 54". This thing drove great - stick action was smooth, and the 13" front tires and standard ROPS were a plus. The negative was the non-folding ROPS. I mow around trees, and if I can't fold the ROPS down to get around my trees - and instead have to remove it - why pay for it???

I also looked at the IS500/1500 Ferris, a couple of Gravely's and Toro's, but in the end turned back to Bobcat - for a few reasons.

1: Strong local dealer support - this is something mentioned on here often. I actually stopped by the other night while they were closed, and the mechanics were all there working late trying to catch-up on the Spring time workload, and let me into the showroom and shop while we talked. Great customer service!
2: My neighbor has one. Granted, it is a couple of years older and 48", but it drove great and did well on my lawn during my 20 minute demo.
3: The FX-series Kawasaki engine on the back. It was the old "Tim-The-Tool-Man-Taylor" thing in action.

The dealer was selling his last two 2010 52" for $5199. I tried to get him to sell me the 52" for the 48" price ($4999), but he wouldn't, so he threw in the hitch kit, the supplies for my first oil change, and free delivery that same day. I was pleased.

I've had it for 24hrs, but the rain has kep it inside most of the time. During my brief test today on somewhat wet grass, it cut very well - evenly - discharged well, and so much better than my old mower I just can't believe it. There was no clumping, and the deck was almost spotless after 20 minutes of Jungle Mowing

Here's my new toy in the jungle...
Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you for the input. We've potentially decided on the Toro TimeCutterZ 42". It's in our current cash reserves price range & seems to meet our mowing needs. We had set on the 2011 20HP model but apparently HD has a 2010 22HP Kawasaki model that they'll knock some $ off of & the current promo offers a free trimmer.