Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

How Often (Mow Lawns)

How often do you usually mow a customers lawn once a week, once a month or is dependant on there wishes?

Also how do you go about lawn care when rain is in the forecast?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would avoid the once a month customers. Weekly and bi/weekly are the most common requests for lawn maintenance. Occasionally, you will get that odd customer that wants to be on a 10 day schedule. A 10 day schedule is a nightmare to manage with a route. Be sure to charge accordingly if its weekly vs a bi weekly customer.

Rain in the forecast? What is that? It's dry as a bone here. We don't get rain here anymore.....
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if it rains don't mow until it dries up...but some mow anyways and make tracks all in the yard so they can stay on schedule....but it's best to not mow in the rain or even sometimes the day after it rains since the yard is still mushy...it depends on the time of year it is...in spring in needs a day or so to dry out but in the heat of summer it dries up quick.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

you mow whenever it needs to be cut.. and it also depends on what kind of grass or weeds you are cutting. I have some weekly, 10 day, bi-weekly, and monthly accounts that I maintain
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is best if you can organise your business to do other jobs, when mowing is not the best idea... 3 days per week of mowing is plenty IMO, and I always feel sorry for the crews that have to manage a full week of mowing in the Spring... Not worth the headache to me...
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My accounts are either weekly or bi-weekly. HOWEVER, even my bi-weekly accounts are weekly during peak spring growing season, at my discretion. If I feel it will be too long in 2 weeks, I mow it. And if it's fertilized, it's weekly, period! I don't do the 10 day or I'll call you when it needs it thing, although I do have some customers I mow on a temporary basis, but it's on my schedule, not theirs.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont give people the option to put me on a bi-weekly schedual just because they are cheap. I tell them if it needs it i cut it, If it doesn't i will skip it. its my choice. i wont allow people to dictate to me how to run my business.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I set a majority of my customer's up on a pre-paid monthly basis. I know I average about 17.5 cuts per year for each customer. More often early in the summer, less later in the year. I determine when they get mowed, and if I want to take three days off in a row, I just move customers around to fit my schedule. As long as the lawn looks good, there's never a problem. Plus, my customers know EXACTLY what they are supposed to pay each week, they just send in payment by the due date and magically, there yard is maintained.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

It's really not that difficult to figure out. I only do weekly and bi weekly. When there is a lot of rain I might cut after 6 days and do bi weeklys after 11 or 12 days. I try and do all my lawns on wed, thurs, and fri.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Until this year we did nothing but weekly mowing. I told each person what day of the week we would be by to mow and if by chance it didn't need mowing we would make that decision. However this year a property management company gave us many yards to maintain with the stipulation that they be cut every 10 days to two weeks. Too good of a deal to pass up so agreed. It is working out good.