Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Balancing Walker Blades - a Tip

Having just read another thread about balanced blades, I thought I'd toss in a tip I use with Walker Blades.

These blades have a bolted-on hub trash cup. Ever think to check the cup's balance or do you just clean, sharpen, and balance the blade? Some LSCs leave the cup attached and sharpen with the right angle grinder.

I always remove the cup, clean it (right angle grinder with a cup brush), and then check the balance. Since I've had the Magna-Matic balancer, it is amazing to see how poorly balanced almost all cups are. I take a black marker and mark the heavy end. Then when I am sharpening the blade, I leave one end of the blade a tiny bit heavier. Then I reattach the cup with the heavy end of the cup on the light side of the blade. For the odd cup whose balance is fine, I mark it as such on the surface of the cup which goes against the blade. Then the next time this cup and blade come back for service, I know all I have to do is make sure its blade is perfectly balanced.

I recheck all blade & cup assemblies on the balancer and I'm almost always right on the money.