Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Compost Tea Brewer

Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with my compost teas for the last few months and am having good results. The residential, detached homes I've marketed to have had good feedback on our products as well.

The problem is my current brewer is a little small for some of our larger sites, say 5-10 acres. My current brewer is a 50 gallon unit with small air pumps etc. I'm currently building a 300 gallon brewer from a used fertilizer storage container and stainless steel brewing components. I'm looking at regenerative blowers to agitate the water and extract the microbes from the castings, etc.

Now, given the fact that I have 300 gallons to agitate. What size blower will I need. I'm looking at units in the 56-98 CFM range. If anyone can tell me if this CFM rating will effectively churn 300 gallons of tea, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the time, and for your responses in advance.

Regards,
Barry
bfuller@direct.ca
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFuller View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with my compost teas for the last few months and am having good results. The residential, detached homes I've marketed to have had good feedback on our products as well.

The problem is my current brewer is a little small for some of our larger sites, say 5-10 acres. My current brewer is a 50 gallon unit with small air pumps etc. I'm currently building a 300 gallon brewer from a used fertilizer storage container and stainless steel brewing components. I'm looking at regenerative blowers to agitate the water and extract the microbes from the castings, etc.

Now, given the fact that I have 300 gallons to agitate. What size blower will I need. I'm looking at units in the 56-98 CFM range. If anyone can tell me if this CFM rating will effectively churn 300 gallons of tea, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the time, and for your responses in advance.

Regards,
Barry
bfuller@direct.ca
I'm sure your fellow Canuck, Tim Wilson will chime in soon with an answer.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Barry;

A good formula through testing I've done is 0.08 CFM per gallon or higher for maximum efficacy in dissolved O2,

http://www.microbeorganics.com/#So_Y...ost_Tea_Brewer

I'm also in the Fraser Valley. If you have not already got your blower check the prices on Sweetwaters at aquaticeco.com
Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. This site is a great resource! Now I just have to start giving back via replies and advice when I can help.

Tim, I've found some good, used units in the 56 CFM range. Is it possible to have too much air in the mix? I can get a used 56 CFM unit for $125 out of Bellingham. If it is too much for a 300 gallon brewer perhaps I could put a valve in-line?

I only ask as my math says 24 CFM would do the trick based on 0.08 CFM per gallon.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFuller View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. This site is a great resource! Now I just have to start giving back via replies and advice when I can help.

Tim, I've found some good, used units in the 56 CFM range. Is it possible to have too much air in the mix? I can get a used 56 CFM unit for $125 out of Bellingham. If it is too much for a 300 gallon brewer perhaps I could put a valve in-line?

I only ask as my math says 24 CFM would do the trick based on 0.08 CFM per gallon.
It is sometimes possible to have too much turbulance but not likely. It is simple to bleed off some air anyway as you have noted.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

also maybe if you expand you can run 2 brewers with one pump or....

Tags
blower , brewer , compost , tea