Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2001, 08:40 PM

Any experience with Grasspave?

A customer is expanding his shop facilities. As part of his permit requirements the town has spec'ed a circle of grass in the middle of where trucks have to back into the faciliity. Looks like a perfect palce for Grasspave or something like Matt Turf pavers. Anybody got any experience with these products and how well they actually hold up under traffic loads?
Old 12-13-2001, 09:07 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Alan, Grass pavers work well, if it is going to be used for a lot of truck traffic I would use a concrete product and not a plastic one. your sub-base should extend well past the end of the parking or turn around area. Use a good indrustrail edging Pavetech makes a good one, don't use the smaller one! Your sub-base should reach 95% Proctor 98% is better, Proof roll your sub-base with the first load of gravel, it shouldn't move. Use a non limestone base gravel, if none is avabile then use 3/4" gravel mixed with sand, 16" to 24" deep, compacted in three inch lifts, see if you can rent a roller for your skid steer or a compaction plate for it. Screed out your 1" of sand then install the grass pavers, fill with good dirt.

One problem I have found with these installs in bad drought conditions the grass will yellow out faster and it will need more fertilizer to keep it healthy.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

A turf stone will work fine, as long as there is a proper base under it.

Another good product is GEO-BLOCK. The product goes in the ground over a prepared base, backfill with top soil and seed. Thus creating a solid turf area and roadway combined.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see the drought thing being an issue, as well as heat, with a heat sink surrounding every square of turf.

We'll likely be putting in a drive with this next spring, so this is good info to have.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Any experience with Grasspave?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
. As part of his permit requirements the town has spec'ed a circle of grass in the middle of where trucks have to back into the faciliity
Is this going to satisfy the town requirements? I personally have never used the product but can't see why it would not be installed like any other paver along with all the necessary prep work. I have seen it used as fire access routes before.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i used them at a gas station, where tractor trailers kept rutting the lawn. seems to have solved the problem great, no more ruts. i used to the concrete ones.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

i installed about 2000 sq ft of a product called grasspave 2 at a site that required occasional vehicle access, but was required to be a green space by the town. this product works well if it is installed exactly as specfied and the grass is irrigated. another problem is that the grass will still get damaged if it recieves too much vehicular traffic. this area was seeded with rebel3.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use them a lot here....

On road shoulders and tight turns and they work well if you do right with the base.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

So I now this is an old thread...

but we are quoting a job now that has spec this GrassPave2 and just wondering if anyone has any further input on this.... maybe how it has held up over time??

Also they also spec grass seed not sod, which I think is going to be a real pain to make sure it germinates right??

Thanks for your help

Landscape Design & Construction
Ontario Canada
www.heritagestone.ca