Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't wait to see some pics of this thing when you've got it loaded and ready to work.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobroslawns View Post
Safety chains seem like a great idea to me. I still think the ramp should stop at 90 degrees, not keep folding forward...
Agreed. I wouldn't want something stupid to happen and have the heavy gate fall on a piece of equipment.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't want something stupid to happen and have the heavy gate fall on a piece of equipment.

There will be a stop made that will easily hold the ramp in place. You'll see!....sooner or later.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gate

? How does using only one spring work, I know you said you could lift it with one arm but would it be safer to use tow. the cable inside the spring is a good idea. What size spring is that?

Nice job on all the work

Training them early
Old 05-21-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon50EX View Post
? How does using only one spring work, I know you said you could lift it with one arm but would it be safer to use tow. the cable inside the spring is a good idea. What size spring is that?

Nice job on all the work
I used one spring because I'm a tightwad. And yeah, it actually works pretty well. I bet it is equal to lifting a large bag of dog food. It is a 160lb spring. I'm not sure of the length or anything else.

I may try a rope instead of the spring. The cable was nothing but a PITA.

I also might add a second spring, but it will be the last thing I do. Other stuff is ahead of it on the to do list.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Racks

Get some blower racks made If they turn out as good as the ramp I may build them also

Training them early
Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

have you checked the local highway patrol for your requirments.... here any 1 Ton or larger truck with a commercial tag must place them on the front reguardless of the wheel configuration or length . I had a 10' box truck with a single wheel axle , i thought it was a 3/4 ton it has a H1 tag and i got stoped for it the 3rd day i drove it through town they may be different there.

On your dove tail part i know its removable but i was curious are you installing any side rails in that area??? why why not?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
have you checked the local highway patrol for your requirments.... here any 1 Ton or larger truck with a commercial tag must place them on the front reguardless of the wheel configuration or length . I had a 10' box truck with a single wheel axle , i thought it was a 3/4 ton it has a H1 tag and i got stoped for it the 3rd day i drove it through town they may be different there.

On your dove tail part i know its removable but i was curious are you installing any side rails in that area??? why why not?

I'm not sure I understand your question about the tag. In NE we have tags on both front and rear. And I have it tagged for 7tons too.

The dovetail will have sides. They will angle from the top of the bed sides to the top of the hinge point. If you draw a line at an angle, that is how simple they will be.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you got it covered then we dont need front and rear tags but if you got them your ready from what i see . I cant wait to see it finished looks good
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I've got nothing new to add yet. It is raining today Again, so I will be tinkering with the tail lights and drivers side marker lights.