Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Bill must be delirious from all the snow he got in the last few days.
He didn't make it clear that we distribute his products.

Essential-1 will work well for several of the pests you mentioned. I haven't tried it on box elder bug. They are a tough one, I've used many pesticides to reduce them as a nuisance with some success but with repeated applications.
The repellent property in Essential-1 may be an added bonus. It does keep mosquitoes away.
fourth post old buddy, "Barry carries a variety of organic pest/repellent products, I can only speak to ours, Essential-1"
Oh BTW Tech Terra carries Essential-1, it is very good for mosquitoes, ticks and fleas

Just a quick marketing note folks: summer camps are very profitable for many private schools and such. They do not like their campers going home with lots of bug bites and will spend almost whatever it takes to get rid of them

This is also a great message for them to tell the staff, parents and campers

They don't like mothers yelling at them about west nile virus or Lymes disease
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlonde View Post
That's the caption for the pic! But, Yes, I do some CRAZY stuff!

Love the beneficial bugs! But it is very difficult to SELECTIVELY ward off the bad guys. Some of the main concerns of our NEW customers are ANTS, FLEAS, TICKS, MOSQUITOES, GRUBS, and occasionally BILLBUGS. We get alot of nuisance from Box Elder bugs near doorways, under the doormats, that then invade the homes. So at the risk of NOT having the beneficial bugs, customers are wanting pest control for the rest of these critters.
It's far less of a problem with established customers, as their lawns are healthy, and ward off the critters. It really helps when the customers mow high, leave the clippings, and water deep and less often. So any help with an ORGANIC product would be much appreciated. Thanks for helping!
Bring in the ant eaters wasps snakes bats etc. HEHEHEHE
Get some GREEEN>>>>____......___<<<<<
Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBlonde View Post
That's the caption for the pic! But, Yes, I do some CRAZY stuff!

Love the beneficial bugs! But it is very difficult to SELECTIVELY ward off the bad guys. Some of the main concerns of our NEW customers are ANTS, FLEAS, TICKS, MOSQUITOES, GRUBS, and occasionally BILLBUGS. We get alot of nuisance from Box Elder bugs near doorways, under the doormats, that then invade the homes. So at the risk of NOT having the beneficial bugs, customers are wanting pest control for the rest of these critters.
It's far less of a problem with established customers, as their lawns are healthy, and ward off the critters. It really helps when the customers mow high, leave the clippings, and water deep and less often. So any help with an ORGANIC product would be much appreciated. Thanks for helping!
Fo box elder bugs and the asian beetles who like find a crack in the siding on the South side of the house to crawl into... Then every warm Spring day when the sun is beating on the wall, they swarm by the hundreds all over the outside...

I tried a solution of borax in the portable pumpup sprayer and covered the wall when they were out... Last time I was spraying there were only a few around the foundation... Works for ants as well... With them I just dust...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
Bring in the ant eaters wasps snakes bats etc. HEHEHEHE
Get some GREEEN>>>>____......___<<<<<
how old are you ? 12, maybe 10
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using beneficial insects on my sites for fifteen years.

Alot of times, the results are slower to achieve. Many of the clients like to see the
eco-friendly products offered in their service agreements. Alot of the cities around
Vancouver are pesticide free. Soon this province and eventually the entire country
will have cosmetic pesticide bans.
Frankly, we aren't in bed with the big chemical companies here.
Google: Anslinger, Hearst and ....... the trillogy as we call it.

Any-thing we can do to be ahead of the curve up here is a good thing for business and our own knowledge and every-ones health.

For the control of aphids I use a midge. Aphidaletes sp. It looks like a miniature mosquito
I won't use lady bugs. They just fly away.
I'll also use diatomecious earth and sticky bands on the trees to control the ants from farming the aphids like cattle for their honey dew excrement. yum

Nematodes are used to control a number of things including European Chafer beetles in
our lawns. The racoons and crows literally tear up stressed lawns that the Chafer has laid its eggs in (mid July) The larvae are these big white grubs that look similar to crane fly larvae. We use nematodes for the crane flies too.

People have to change their cultural maintenance practices and stop cutting their lawns so short. That is what is attracting the E. Chafer.

I've seen entire blocks that compete to have the shortest greenest lawn. It's power raked and stressed to death. Then sprayed with mass amounts of chemicals to keep the weeds at bay

Then they wonder why the whole area has the European Chafer
and their lawns get torn up.

Again for the 16 species of weavils we get around here, we use nematodes.
It takes about three years for a severly notched Rhododendron to look good again.

I have many other options available to me, but these are the ones that I use regularly and are always listed in our scope of work.

For weeds I have been using Fiesta and EcoSense. They contain iron.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ecoexempt IC2 works very well. smells minty

Tags
bug , control , organic , pesticide