Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone own a dump truck?

im looking at buying a moderately affordable dump truck ($10,000-$13,000) because my business is starting to gain a lot of clean-up and install jobs. it would be amazing to be able to not only bring the materials to the job site w/o having it delivered but also being able to load it up and head to the dump and leave within 5 minutes. not to mention no more unloading thousands of pounds of debris ever time i need to empty the trailer. Anyone have one? and has it been worth its weight in gold or is it a luxury.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had a dump for less than a week, and so far it has been worth its weight in gold. Just did a turf removal and sod install that I was able to take all the old grass and dirt to the compost site in 1 load, and have it out of the truck in about 2 minutes. Much cheaper and faster than taking 2 or more trips with my regular pickup. Also, my dump is a Ford with a 7.3 turbo, and gets a solid 14 MPG on diesel, waaaaaaayyyyyy better than what I get with my Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gas engine.

Also, anyone who says its just a luxury, its darn near a medical expense, save my back a whole lot of trouble!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had one for over 14 yrs. Made up my mind early on that I would not take the time to unload leaves,grass misc lawnwaste by hand off of a trailer plus the saving of the back to do the unloading is unmeasurable. Saved every dime for the first 4 years to get it but have never felt it was a wasted investment. I use it for cleanups,hauling mulch, some landscaping work but mostly in the fall it is used to collect leaves I drive it every work day from Oct until Dec. It also has a snowplow so it also serves as a backup to my main plow truck and a extra when the crap really hits the fan. It might be a luxury where you live since it would not be used to plow snow but the first time your back goes out unloading clippings or leaves your mind might make a different decision for you. Also when I bought mine (used) I knew it would be around for along time. So if you have room to store it might be the way to go. Good luck finding one.
60" Grasshopper 725K
44" Toro Proline Hydro 20hp
44" Toro Proline Hydro 15hp
37" Toro Proline Hydro 15hp
21" Snapper Mowers
Echo 260S String Trimmers
Echo Power Pruner
Echo PB-603 Blower
Little wonder 30" Gas Hedge Trimmer
Echo 30" Electric Hedge Trimmers
Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I put a dump insert in my pickup. It is worth every penny. I will probably buy a dually dump truck with a larger capacity soon.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful buying a used 1 ton dump, gerally they are used & abused because they are always overloaded & worked hard.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Sponsor

For sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
im looking at buying a moderately affordable dump truck ($10,000-$13,000) because my business is starting to gain a lot of clean-up and install jobs. it would be amazing to be able to not only bring the materials to the job site w/o having it delivered but also being able to load it up and head to the dump and leave within 5 minutes. not to mention no more unloading thousands of pounds of debris ever time i need to empty the trailer. Anyone have one? and has it been worth its weight in gold or is it a luxury.
Hello, I just got out of a Lawn Installation Business and am selling my equip. I have a '95 ford 2ton, single axel, newer 12' bed with side boards, 7sp, Cummins Turbo Diesel, hauls and dumps up to 12 ton. Runs great, drives great. The darn thing's a beast. looks good too. Clutch is one year old. I need to sell it. If interested, don't call the 800#, my cell is 1-812-661-8477. Also have a FINN B40 straw blower, Brand new LandPride 6' power rake, 2 ton dual axle trailer for the truck. Also, a 2007 5730 Kubota Loader tractor, with cab, exc. cond. I live in Southern IN.

GOT A QUESTION?? Call us anytime 1-800-222-4303 Mon-Fri 8-5 EST

*** LAWNSITE members save $20 off any order of $100 or more,
Click Here or use "lawnsite" (in lowercase) when checking out***