Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I got it set up with the scratcher blade now, and hopefully it will work out OK. If I ever need it with the Autocut head, I'll take it to my dealer to check out what it needs then. Thankfully, I have an FS 70 RC-E and an FS 55 R that I use regularly. I got this one just because the price was right and I seemed to have developed somewhat of an addiction to Stihls

Thanks again for your help Ricky!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, you should be able to order a parts list and a repair manual through the dealer.
At my request, my dealer ordered a Spare Parts List book and a Stihl Series 4180 Powerhead troubleshooting and Repair manual for my FS 90. The total cost for both was $16.80.
Just gotta know to ask, I guess.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
There appears to be parts missing for the head.
Well yeah, the box says "Spool Insert" on the flap on the left side of the picture.
That's the part you buy when you wear out the bump cap, to get a new bump cap and spool. If you plan on doing string trimming, it's a good part to have a spare of, but you still need to buy a line head (and since you have spare parts for an Autocut 25-2, you may want to buy that type).
Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

OK I'll try ordering that parts list and manual through my dealer (great idea) - but, that's if I even keep this thing. In reality, this is an FS65 trimmer (NOT an 85, as I thought - my mistake). I have it all set up but it will NOT start now. The guy who sold it to me started it once in front of me (after several attempts, which I didn't think much of). But I have never been able to get it going. It has a toggle switch for the stop/start, a fuel cut off valve, and a choke adjustment switch (as well as other things like throttle screw, idol screw, etc.). Fresh gas, adjusted throttle, cleaned spark plug and adjusted carb -- no start. I get "noise" but it never gets close to starting - not at all. So, if anyone here has any experience with an FS65 AVE, or any suggestions, I would sure appreciate it! (he guy I bought it from told me on the spot that if I had any problems he'd gladly refund my cash, but now, 3 days later, he isn't sounding so accommodating). Any help, please?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd try re-posting in another thread with a description of which model you have and a description of the starting problem. The more accurately you describe your machine (including model and serial numbers) and problem, the more likely you are to get a good, quick diagnosis.
There are some good mechanics on here (including Ricky) who are very willing to help you out if you give them enough information to go on.

Tags
stihl , trimmer head , trimmer problem , trimmer shaft