Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What size tractor?

I have a opportunity to bid on all the nuisance abatement properties in a neighboring city. I have been mowing these types of property's for a while now with a walk behind tractor (D.R MOWER) throw down mowers and trimmers for the small residential lots, And i have been sub contracting out all my 1-3 acre estate property's to a buddy with a tractor. the properties range from 12 inches' of light grass up to 48+ inches of medium to heavy brush. My buddy has a 95hp kubota with a 10' ft brush hog , but its way overkill for these types of jobs, ( its basically all residential from 7500sq feet. to 3 acres lots. I'm looking into buying a small-mid size tractor if I'm awarded the contract. (its a 3yr contract). and i can justify the extra expense because my landscaping business has really been expanding and i can use it for other jobs. what size tractor would be best for this type of work? Ive been looking at the 30-45 hp kubota's loader/box blade/ cutter/trailer packages. they are in my price range. but i don't want to buy more tractor than i need.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

30 to 45 horse power is all you need. Also look at John deere tractors. They are every bit as good as kubota and often have better dealer network. make sure you have a dealer close by. A five foot bush hog is all you need. I use this size on these size properties and it is perfect for anything around 3 acres. Arrive, mow for an hour and a half, and leave. I WOULDN't buy a package with a trailer, unless you get separate prices on everything somewhere else to compare and do a lot of research on the trailer the package offers Often they gouge you on attachments and sell you a junk trailer. If you can justify it, buy a tractor/loader/bush hog new, and buy other attachments used or new as you need them. Get a top of the line commercial duty bush hog with a slip clutch from WOODS, Bush Hog, Landpride, or frontier. Buy the commercial model,not the landowner version or the one at tractor supply. You won't be sorry you spent the money Get quick attach on the bucket and if they offer two loaders get the heavier duty one. Also get pallet forks right away. You will use these more than anything else. I would try and stay in the John Deere 3020 series or Kubota Grand L40 up to model L3540 because these tractors are physically smaller and I have found they are much more maneuverable and fit many more places than a larger L40 or JD 4020 series. They are pretty close to perfect to landscaping with a great combo of loader performance and power in a reasonably small package. Look for a tractor that is five feet wide. When you get a trailer, get AT LEAST 20 feet long(with bush hog you will run out on length fast) and at least 10000# (#7000) could be close with some implements on there. Hope it helps
Old 05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Tractors

If loader equipped, get 4WD. If lawn work, get turf treads. Check any access problem that could limit size.

A 20-horse will do everything a 40 will but take longer. If most work will be mowing the big decision will be front, mid, rear. I prefer front but few utility tractors are designed for them. Mid gives more stability and doesn't increase the rig's length but costs more and most are harder to service, install, remove.

Two fail-safe brands are Deere and Kubota. Chinese makes are half the cost but you take your chances. Kioti offers more features for less money and quality that seems somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Anything over 35hp is over kill for your type of job. I have mowed THICK 4 ft weeds in about a 4 acre pasture with a JD 950 with a 5ft shredder, it doesnt even bog down, if it gets tough i just lower the gear and get higher rpm. I havent seen anything it couldnt handle yet. To me getting anything over 35 horse to just pull a 5ft shredder behind is just wasting gas. And it would be much harder to manuever in yards with.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Kubota L3540 at the end of last year, 35 hp, hydrostat 4wd with a loader, never had a hydrostat before and so far I love it, it really is a good all around tractor.