Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

looks sharp...............
Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
looks sharp...............
Not too bad, could have cut my lines on the edges a little better though, but over-all it turned out pretty good. Thanks Stillwater, .

Hope you aren't too stressed this year. I've had some realizations this last year about trying to just go with it and not stress considering it's been the rainiest 4 years in a row that I think I've ever experienced.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Project Evergreen

Kinda sad that I'm done with this lawn. The Reservist who owns this property just got back from his 1.5 year deployment.

Wish I had some before photos of the place. It looked rough. I've made sure to mow higher and have also put it on a fertilizer and weed control program. Really what the lawn needs though is a double aeration, top-dressed and aerated again to really bring the lawn back into good over-all health.

But, I got the weeds under control and the over-all health back in order. The owner stated when he got back that it looked better than it ever had. I ended up getting a thank you note and a 100 dollar bill. I appreciated it, but it wasn't needed as doing the work for a soldier was enough gratification for me.

Basically I took care of the lawn and landscape including weeding the small beds and edging the sidewalk and curbs.

I'm going to miss that long curved stripe more than anything.

Name:  Project Evergreen(b).jpg
Views: 548
Size:  391.1 KB

Name:  Project Evergreen2(b).jpg
Views: 543
Size:  394.4 KB

Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to hear more about your 'passive worm food'... I have a worm bin that kitchen scraps go in for compost, vermiculture! In turn, I breed red wigglers; thousands of worms... I'm always interested in other peoples use of worms and 'worm food', so please tell what you do.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just throw all my clippings and leaves in the fall on my garden and just let the pile sit. Basically the worms in the environment have at it.

Each year the pile(s) are in different places in the garden so it's always shifting so the worms are fertilizing my garden.

I mean passive as a pile also as I don't necessarily turn my piles so it's not an active compost pile.

In a nutshell, it's like finding a pile of old leaves on the pavement. When you disturb the pile after it's been sitting for a long time, you'll find worms in it.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drainage.

Phase one of a drainage project/patio install.

The patio will be coming next year, for now they want to fix their down-spouts, re-grade the back in order to help with water issues in the basement.

First was to remove the old patio. The previous owner installed it and did a horrible job grade wise. He had the water running back towards the house and basically used what little soil for digging to fill around it. Basically it was sitting on top of the grade.

They did build it strong though. Big aggregate and also wire-mesh re-enforcement, so needless to say it wasn't very easy to take out. Normally I can lift the old concrete and break it with a sledge hammer, but that wasn't working. I ended up having to rent a jack-hammer to break it up into manageable pieces for the mini.

Name:  Leon1b.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  394.0 KB

Name:  Leon2b.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  276.4 KB

Name:  Leon3b.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  387.8 KB

Name:  Leon4b.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  428.9 KB

Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let's give this thread a good Saturday bump!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am on a similar project right now, the grade slopes towards the house severely and the patio is covered in mud. I am fixing the grade and installing sod now, patio to come later in the summer. Those mini skids are great I used one on a few jobs last month and should have rented one for this job now. Work looks good too.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Please explain your use of a 45* coming right off the leader instead of a long sweep 90*. I can see pros and cons to that way.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Please explain your use of a 45* coming right off the leader instead of a long sweep 90*. I can see pros and cons to that way.
I just feel that the 45* fitting allows for debris to move through easily without getting hung up. I also feel the more length of pipe coming off the leader will help if there is a back-up in the system and it will create that much more water pressure to push the blockage through.

A long sweep 90* would probably be just as sufficient though.

What cons do you see with the 45* fittings. (they are actually 22.5* fittings mostly.)