Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

new soccer field and surrounding area

My son,s small christian school has completly redisigned the soccer field to more than twice the area it was, thanks to a father,s company who did all the excavation work. We have had some much rain this sping causing delays however final grade this week. Plan on seeding and starter fert. next saturday using slit seeder in two directions. Newsome's trio mix 80% tttf 10% tt rye 10% kentukey blue. No in ground irrigation looking at "Big Sprinkler" system or make my own 2" or 1 1/2 main line with hunter pgp's every 20-30' to cover more area at a time for germination. Have a 6 thousand gallon tank truck for water. SO think they can play soccer in late august?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

It depends

I depends on the required ground cover you are looking for before allowing use. A spring seeding of tall fescue/blue is a tough one. The blue grass is at a great disadvantage due to the 30 or so days it takes for germination. the tall fescue germinates quickly but the inevitable warm weather will stifle development. Additionally, tall fescue has poor wear tolerance in its early stages of development since most of its benefits are derived from a deep root system which is non existent early on. Your best bet is effective watering and fertilization to get the best possible results in the shortest amount of time. I would plan on reseeding this fall if the field is used. I would also advise topdressing of 1/8" or so with a topdressing compatible with your own soil just prior to use. My experience has shown that topdressing at this time helps to protect the crowns of the young pants and minimize damage. Obviously you will have to be very concerned with soil moisture when allowing play. A wet field will be far more susceptible to damage than the same on a mature stand of turf.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Member

it's up and growing

Planted on june 4th mixed 80% turf type tall fescue, 10% rye,10% blue about 3" tall . Fertilized at planting just put second app. of 20-1-5 . Looks good but wondering what to expect for the rest of summer. I will post some picks soon.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Good job!

Thats great! Only time and summer weather conditions will tell the tale in the end. Be careful of over fertilization if hot dry conditions start to develop. So far its been a great growing season. Be sure to start mowing soon (at 3" or so. Mowing will help to stimulate lateral growth and thickening of the turf. good luck
Old 07-11-2011, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

waiting to mow

not quite to 3" yet hoping fertilizer will stimulate some growth I used organic base fert. to lessen the burn possiblity and we have been getting some good rains.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Aug. 22 grass is starting to grow after the hot month of July. We have had several storms with large amounts of rain in the past week the field is coming along, however there are some thin spots. Should I aerate and seed, slit seed or top dress with soil and seed? Is it to early to aerate, can the new turf handle it. I have mowed three times at 2.5" to force lateral grow. Open for ideas.