Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota and John Deere Decks and Cuts

I am shopping for a zero turn and the most convenient in my area would be Kubota or John Deere. How does the cut compare between a Kubota Pro Fabricated deck and the John Deere Pro deck. I do like the idea of the mulch on demand John Deere deck but like the Kubota diesel too. I don't want to go any heavier than I have too and the Kubota might be slightly less but not enough to make a difference. Likely be a 920 Deere or a 221 Kubota. I like the Walker Mowers too but the dealer is almost two hours away and they are not common in this area. I would like to try one but hate to have a dealer come this far to demo and I am busy enough I don't really have the time to go there.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you are gonna get different opinions but nothing cuts as good as a deere....i'm sure the kubota cut is fine though but i don't have any experience with them...the cut on my z920a is flawless...here's a vid

you can fast forward to 3:30 to get a good view of how it cuts

Last edited by weeze; 05-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

To be honest I never tried the Kubota zturns. I have an 820 and a 925 John Deere as well as a Kubota 3060 frontal. Hands down, John Deere wins with the mulch on demand deck. Fall has never been so easy since I have those JD tractors. Cut quality is outstanding. I can't say that it is a perfect machine, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Dan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with JasonsLawnCare1.
It's really hard to beat the cut quality of the Deere ZTR's, or their L&G tractors for that matter.

This is a shot of part of my back yard after cuting it with my Z720A w/60" 7 Iron II deck last week. No stripe kit either. Just the cut the mower does by itself. I cut at 3", and took off about 3" to get these results here-
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i will say i think the john deere deck seems to really perform well. i have never mowed with one though, but have years and 1000s of hrs on kubotas.

they will not let you down, and really have a great cut, but it does not do the best in very wet conditions as it is heavy, and remember we are using diesels though.

the deck will clog up in wet conditions while the jd will really not be affected that much.

you would not be wrong on either, but choose the things that are the most important for you .

right now while not in very heavy growth our kubotas are mowing fatastic and fast
Old 05-31-2011, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

the new 7iron pro decks are unbeatable. being a stamped deck there are no sharp corners or places for wet grass to clog up. the 7iron will out perform any deck out there. get the deere.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on your needs if you are looking for superior cut in any condition possible (very very wet tall grass) get the deer if you are looking for a good cut in mostly dry conditions get the Kubota. If you are looking to buy a ztr that will give you years and years of superior dependability and trouble free get the Kubota. I have just started in the last week helping a local friend of mine with some of his accounts mostly I just help him rough cut some large church property he is running 2 deer 900 series both have the 7 iron decks I will admit I have had some mixed feelings about deer products but after looking at them they seem to be made well however we compared my zg222 to his A910 and the zg222 is hands down built better than the deer.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
7 X 14 Smith Built Trailer
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffram View Post
It really depends on your needs if you are looking for superior cut in any condition possible (very very wet tall grass) get the deer if you are looking for a good cut in mostly dry conditions get the Kubota. If you are looking to buy a ztr that will give you years and years of superior dependability and trouble free get the Kubota. I have just started in the last week helping a local friend of mine with some of his accounts mostly I just help him rough cut some large church property he is running 2 deer 900 series both have the 7 iron decks I will admit I have had some mixed feelings about deer products but after looking at them they seem to be made well however we compared my zg222 to his A910 and the zg222 is hands down built better than the deer.
I am a Deere fan, and will readily admit that, but when plunking down my hard earned cash in the amounts necessary to buy great, relaible, and well made equipment, I am not brand loyal if there's something better I can buy.

Before I bought my Deere ZTR, I checked out several other brands including Kubota. They make nice machines for sure, and I wouldn't complain over having to own one (at least where ZTR's are concerned, but would never chose one of their compact ut's over a Deere- never), but after checking them out for a while, I decided on the Deere, and don't regret it. There's no way anyone can honestly say that one is vastly superior to the other, but there are differences, and no one in his right mind who isn't being brand loyal or just plain doesn't care for Deere can say that the Kubota is better made when comparing them to current Deere ZTR's, cause it simply ain't so. The new Deere ZTR's are very well made/stoutly constructed.

Besides, the green and yellow paint goes good on a lawn, and I ain't ever seen orange foilage that was natural (at least of the lawn care type)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both man! both are ZTR's
If you get the Kubota, you will be EXTREMELY stoked.
If you get the Deere, you will be EXTREMELY stoked.
I honestly do not prefer either of my mowers to the other. im not brand loyal at all. i love them both.( i can say i prefer them both over the BobCat i once demoed). I like them and they mow as good or better than the Scag. i do like the wet clutch and hydro deck lift on the Kubota though....
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DEMO DEMO DEMO

I can tell you the my John Deere mowers have the best cut out there, but for you to know if it really does work for you or not, you really need to try the machine out first. John Deere does have a very nice mowing deck and I don't think you will be disappointed with their performance.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds