Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

My experience with Bad Boy Mowers

One month ago bought 2 Bad Boy 28 hp diesel mowers. Have tried many mowers before deciding on these 2, liked the ride and decent cut. Problems started after one week, deck bearing went out, paint chipping off, hydraulic leak, bolts on exhaust guard vibrated off, and after 30 days went to get on mower and the deck won't move up or down. What to do? I like the mowers except for the problems. Called bad boy said some things might be fixed under warranty but would sell me a can of spray paint for 13.99. Instead of working tomorrow I will be driving 70 miles to dealer to get issues fixed. Hope this is not an ongoing problem especially for the price you pay. A little unhappy right now so venting since I paid for NEW equipment so I wouldn't have to work on equipment all the time. Anyone else with these issues?? More reviews to come good or bad.

Cole Hog - 2 bad boy 28 hp Diesel
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Kawasaki Weedeaters
Kawasaki Stick Edger
Redman Blower
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colehog View Post
One month ago bought 2 Bad Boy 28 hp diesel mowers. Have tried many mowers before deciding on these 2, liked the ride and decent cut. Problems started after one week, deck bearing went out, paint chipping off, hydraulic leak, bolts on exhaust guard vibrated off, and after 30 days went to get on mower and the deck won't move up or down. What to do? I like the mowers except for the problems. Called bad boy said some things might be fixed under warranty but would sell me a can of spray paint for 13.99. Instead of working tomorrow I will be driving 70 miles to dealer to get issues fixed. Hope this is not an ongoing problem especially for the price you pay. A little unhappy right now so venting since I paid for NEW equipment so I wouldn't have to work on equipment all the time. Anyone else with these issues?? More reviews to come good or bad.

Cole Hog - 2 bad boy 28 hp Diesel
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Kawasaki Weedeaters
Kawasaki Stick Edger
Redman Blower

I don't own a diesel BB, and my Outlaw hasn't had any issues yet. But if I were you I would be going over every nut and bolt on both those units , or make the dealer do it while I was watching. How many hours have you put on them in 1 week ?

What deck bearing are you refering to?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

X'2 I haven't had a single problem(knock on wood). Nothing but high praise from me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

ONE mower had 5.3 hrs other one 7.4 hrs. IT was the middle deck bearing that locked up.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colehog View Post
Hope this is not an ongoing problem especially for the price you pay.
Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmm"
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry for the bumm luck. Take that thing back to the dealer and get it fixed asap. If problems continue to happen then tell them you want the mower switched out for a new one.

With less then 10 hours on them god knows what else will be a problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry to here about your luck. I have my own opinion on BB but it will not help your issues.

Some advise for you is to make sure the dealer DOCUMENTS EVERYTHING IN WRITING on the repair order including machine hours and when you took delivery. Even if they say its normal make sure its on the repair order(like the paint chips). You will want a track record in writing if BB decides not to warranty everything or if future problems occur due to these current problems. This track record will be the only thing you have if things ever get serious.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Sorry to here about your luck. I have my own opinion on BB but it will not help your issues.

Some advise for you is to make sure the dealer DOCUMENTS EVERYTHING IN WRITING on the repair order including machine hours and when you took delivery. Even if they say its normal make sure its on the repair order(like the paint chips). You will want a track record in writing if BB decides not to warranty everything or if future problems occur due to these current problems. This track record will be the only thing you have if things ever get serious.
GMLC is exactly right. Document everything down to the dot. service intervals, matinence performed, that way if it comes down to it ( and hope it does not) you have a good foot to stand on in court.

Make the dealer sign all warranty repairs on an invoice so he and you have proof of repairs.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an Outlaw 31hp Kawi bought last April. After weekly problems, and the final straw being a cracked frame I sold it in Sept.

I was trying a cheaper alternative on a second crew, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. I will stick with my Scags.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Get everything in writing and hopefully they stand behind it. Being an "offbrand" they are trying to make a name for themselves and become real competitors in the market, so i can only assume they will try to work with you.

It sucks when you get a machine with problems, Ive had it happen with many brands. Now is the time where you will see if they are a company you want to stick with.

Remember, they didnt, on purpose, put a machine out the door with issues. So give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they make right. If they do, then hopefully you tell everyone about your good experience.

If they decide to be jerks about it. Then certainly tell everyone about that too.