Register free!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
How would he TDR this Jim?
for lack of a better word i use the term "ping" and forms of "ping" for performing a test.

connect the TDR to the common and the valve wire, ping the pair and record the measurement.

do this with all of the valves, once you have all of the results you'll know where each valve is in a physical order and what the valve assignment is at the controller.

if there is a compromise you may be reading a "length" distance, that should put you pretty close.

if the valves happen to be assigned for operation, regardless to their physical placement you may find that the common is compromised and the valves are actually the last valves or they're on a branch and the splice is corrupt.

when i look at a group of valves not functioning regardless of their location i eliminate the common, i don't dismiss it.

without a TDR, short to earth measurements rule.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Landscaping Company View Post
Yea i have done some testing and i have 26V at the controller and all other valves except for these for 4 right in the middle of the yard. No clue where to go with this one. I dont wanna run those wires thru the yard but who knows i might have to. The electrical is terrible on this thing. Its only 3 years old and already has major problems the guy did water proof any connections.
voltage measurements actually tell you very little when troubleshooting wire paths, they rule out the controller more than anything.

resistance measurements can be read like a book.