Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with perfect. IF the beds are really bad as you make them sound, you should plan on at least 1 to prep them with 3 guys. For our prepping we will weed all the beds (large weeds), small little weeds we wil just hit with roundup (im talking like little grassy weeds etc). clean out the leaves and debris. Then we will take our mulch-pro thats attached to a weed eater and run it over the mulch. This breaks up the mulch to allow more breathing room for the mulch. And so it doesnt create that hard compacted mulch under the new mulch becasue that can allow the new mulch to wash out easier.

Then we will lightly rake that all out and get the base fairly level. Then edging the beds. We take a stick edger with a wavy blade and run it around, then use a razorback to deepen the edge and then follow up with the spade to get it nice and flat and even. All the grass clumps are hauled out and the nice soil is raked evenly into the old soil and covered with the old mulch. No clumps of soil are left. On a project of that size from the sounds of it, we could probably have it edged and cleaned in about 30-45 minutes with 3 guys.

Then spreading the mulch. We use 3 guys usually spreading the mulch and we could do that in about 1 hour. 2 guys wheeling and the other spreading it. We dump it and rough spread then afterwords go over with leaf rakes turned over and level it out. All the small delicate plants (perennials and annuals) all get mulch spread with a pitch fork. One hold the plants and the other gently spreads.

Sp right there were talking about 8 hours to do that job in really high quality work, and to make it look right. Our labor rate is actually $35.00/hour (varies by region), but you need to figure that out for yourself. So right there thats $280 plus then the 4 yards of mulch. Depends on what kind your using, for us we sell our double ground dyed brown at $30/yd (get it for $24). If we can haul it ourselves (3 yards in the truck and another 5 on 6 on the trailer its $50/delivery fee, if we have it delivered we add 10% onto our delivery fee from the supplier.

So I would be at least at $450 for that job. Which isnt too bad for 3 guys in and out in
about 3 hours (4 if you include pickup time for the mulch). You can get 2-3 jobs done per day at that rate and if they are all $450/job that $1350 per day, not a bad day at all. IF we have a full day of mulching we will just go to the supplier in the morning and pick up 10 yards and then just go, saves time later. Any extra mulch we will probably just have delivered.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Judging from what you guys are telling me you all run much more legitimate businesses than I do. I'm sure you've all been in the business longer than I have as well though. I'll be sure to keep all this information in mind the next time I give an estimate. thanks for all the help its much appreciated
Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep us posted how it all turns out. Before and after pics are a great idea for us and from a documentation standpoint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't get overwhelmed and discouraged. It's a learning experience and we've all underbid jobs at one time or another. You learn from your mistakes and do better the next time.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejava View Post
Don't get overwhelmed and discouraged. It's a learning experience and we've all underbid jobs at one time or another. You learn from your mistakes and do better the next time.
We told him what to bid??
Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
Typically I do a hundred bucks a yard installed. I added 75 because you said there were excessive weeds and rocks so I figured a couple hours more than normal. I think three hours to edge weed and spread mulch by yourself is very optimistic especially if the beds are in rough shape. I would plan on a full day and be happy if you finish sooner.

Agree. Sounds about right.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you guys think it's a good idea to have a set pricing schedule set up for jobs like this? I went to bid on a similar job this past week and was lost on the pricing, also if you were to come up to a job that was too big for a solo like myself how do you price for subing it out?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Do you guys think it's a good idea to have a set pricing schedule set up for jobs like this? I went to bid on a similar job this past week and was lost on the pricing, also if you were to come up to a job that was too big for a solo like myself how do you price for subing it out?
If I come across something too large for me to do then it will be evauluated after talking to any other parties involved and I will get back to the customer. Usually someone with a large project like that is understanding of these terms.

Tags
edging , estimate , mulch , mulching