Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

good to know, good to know, I was considering painting the concrete and where it touches the boulder with foundation sealer... problem being if it shifts at all the seal could easily be broken...

and yes this is something I was considering, if I did a wall , footings, and reinforcement would be required

thanks again! I am still a while away form attacking this particular part and am still just gathering ideas and learning as much as I can. This will be my first build.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I have a huge boulder in my front yard that is in no way moving (it's 4 feet tall or so, by a similar length). It will make an awesome center piece for a water feature (perhaps the beginning of a pond-less fall/stream).

The question goes as follows, if I do run water down it how do I make sure that there will be no leaks where the liner meets the boulder? Is there an adhesive that will work well enough? I am also considering digging under it and setting the liner under it just enough and then encourage flow away from the boulder?

In simple terms, if you can't lift a boulder and put a liner under it, how do you make a water feature out of it?

I figured I would ask the professionals before attempting anything. I just bought the house and have yet to dig around and see how it sits. I will also get some pictures as time allows.

Thanks in advance!
I would strap it and rent a small forklift or such to lift and place some heavy geo under it etc. Maybe core the center and have a bubble up in the rock?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
I would strap it and rent a small forklift or such to lift and place some heavy geo under it etc. Maybe core the center and have a bubble up in the rock?
Interesting idea. I wonder how much it weighs...
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lately with the way the landscaping is coming together I am leaning to a natural look/approach and wonder how "natural" starting the fall on the top of the boulder would look.

What do you guys think if I made it look like a spring coming up in a cove (the cove where the ground cover is in this pic) albeit this "spring" would be facing the house not the road with the boulder in its current position. Thoughts?

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1305679442
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
Lately with the way the landscaping is coming together I am leaning to a natural look/approach and wonder how "natural" starting the fall on the top of the boulder would look.

What do you guys think if I made it look like a spring coming up in a cove (the cove where the ground cover is in this pic) albeit this "spring" would be facing the house not the road with the boulder in its current position. Thoughts?

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1305679442
I think it would be great! But that rock would look cool with water coming off that side in a sheet into a cove.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously. you are probably talking max of $500 (probably more like $350) to do it right. If the rock is the centerpiece of your feature why would you not just bite the bullet and do it so that you know it will work?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
Seriously. you are probably talking max of $500 (probably more like $350) to do it right. If the rock is the centerpiece of your feature why would you not just bite the bullet and do it so that you know it will work?
Wow! I need to start purchasing from your suppliers.
The pump. liner, geotextile and plumbing components for this size project would eat up most of the $500.00 using my suppliers. Still have to core the rock, reset it, build a reservoir, purchase gravel and probably additional rock, and run electrical.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Wow! I need to start purchasing from your suppliers.
The pump. liner, geotextile and plumbing components for this size project would eat up most of the $500.00 using my suppliers. Still have to core the rock, reset it, build a reservoir, purchase gravel and probably additional rock, and run electrical.
Oops haha. Yes perhaps I should clarify on what that price pertains to, which was just moving the rock.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The money isn't what scares me it's the job itself. I have never re-set something so heavy, not to mention built a water feature out of it (or anything lol). Enough advice and encouragement here and I just might have to try.