Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I do agree, anybody won't do.
Other times I take a chance, that works as well but in some cases such as if you may
have reached your frustration limit this might not be such a good idea.

What I have found over the years it is best not to just go out and find whoever,
but instead try talking to friends and family (maybe a good neighbor or a trusted
co-worker) to see if there's someone they can recommend.

As a rule, I only use folks who have been recommended.
I Just wanted to suggest looking around. Some guy who has never worked in a shop, never had any sort of training other then a small engine mechanics class in high school taught by a teacher that had never had any formal training just does not cut it. You will find some really good backyard shops but you will also find some really bad ones that can cost you more in the long run. But you also have dealerships that should not be touching equipment...
Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I never did like our Exmarks with the Kohler engines. We have a 2000 Lazer Z that is on its 3rd engine. They all burn oil like crazy.

The one Exmark we have at the shop I am located in has s 34hp Kawasaki. I like that engine a lot. But, now Kawasaki has a recall on a lot of their engines for cam issues and Exmark is not offering the Kawasaki anymore until the problem is fixed. We have to get Kohler and we just ordered 3 new mowers.

Rant Over.
2 - Gator XUV 620i
2 - Gator XUV 825i Power Steering
2 - Toro Workman HDX 4200
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
"normal service" is the proper USE of said engine as outlined by both Kohler and the equipment manufacturer.

I've never had a Kohler warranty claim denied and even gotten a couple just out of warranty claims payed, Also got a couple out of warranty adjustments where Kohler paid for parts and customer paid labor.

llee3 just got a bunch of smoke blown up his ear......
DITTO....

If llee3 had spent half as much time on this site as he did on the phone,
He probably would have located the problem FREE OF CHARGE.....In alot less time.
Money is tight everywhere...The quality of info you get over the phone is rapidly degrading. Face it, a dealership doesnt make a dime by giving out answers over the phone. There are morons and idiots manning the phones in alot of businesses, You'll probably even find some on this site if you look hard enough. This is not exclusive to the lawn business. Your best bet is to educate yourself and watch your wallet.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
DITTO....

If llee3 had spent half as much time on this site as he did on the phone,
He probably would have located the problem FREE OF CHARGE.....In alot less time.
Money is tight everywhere...The quality of info you get over the phone is rapidly degrading. Face it, a dealership doesn't make a dime by giving out answers over the phone. There are morons and idiots manning the phones in alot of businesses, You'll probably even find some on this site if you look hard enough. This is not exclusive to the lawn business. Your best bet is to educate yourself and watch your wallet.
I definitely agree with piston slapper.
would of spent time on here.
I have never gotten much luck calling a company whats wrong with my machine.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

all these replys...& no suggestions on how to get this motor running? come on guys! Clicking...hmmm I know the motors not locked up but did you try jumping the battery straight to the starter? Is the starter worn out? my starter is shot & just clicks, has a good solenoid but if you tap on the starter with a steel bar or hammer while bumping the starter switch it will kick over. Yea i'm replacing it this week. But my point is look for the most simple fix first. Don't go rebuild the engine to find out it's a old starter later or something simple like that.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PEVO...

The clutch bearings came apart and locked up the engine.

Replace Clutch....Go Back To Work
Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=topsites;4055111]Unfortunately Restro we're old school, things have changed drastically in the past years, where have you been?
Not to be a wise guy but let me see if I can clue you in...

You see, people today have to take an entire day OFF from work just to CALL the help line!
And it should go without saying but the reason they have to take a day off to call a help line is because doing that COULD take ALL day!

But today this is the norm, folks nowadays take time off from work to call people about a problem with something they paid money for.
Which isn't to say they're not risking being fired over it but they apparently put up with it, probably mostly because of the issue of choice (as in, we have none).

I did take the whole day off since I did not know just how long I would be on hold for. And I wanted to get to the bottom of it. Unlike most people I am not worried about taking time off from my job. I have close to 1500 hours of time off accrued, and earn 280 hours each year. My boss has no problem with me calling in since it only happens a few days a year at most.

Now...

Well, there's your problem, Kohler already went to bat for you once and now you expect it again and I am sorry but
your problem can not be diagnosed over the phone.

I had called Exmark and then Kohler to try and make sure it was the clutchy and find out how to remove it without damaging it. After 11 years of being on there it was on there good. The Exmark people missed the boat totally but at least they took their time and tried to help. The Kohler guy was just no help and had no idea what he was talking about.

More than likely it's not blown, but you need to take it to a qualified service technician.
And be prepared, it might cost more than $50, probably 2, 3, 4, 500, I don't know, maybe more.

It was the PTO clutch. I bought a new one on the way into work today and will install tonight.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundsmechanic View Post
I never did like our Exmarks with the Kohler engines. We have a 2000 Lazer Z that is on its 3rd engine. They all burn oil like crazy.

The one Exmark we have at the shop I am located in has s 34hp Kawasaki. I like that engine a lot. But, now Kawasaki has a recall on a lot of their engines for cam issues and Exmark is not offering the Kawasaki anymore until the problem is fixed. We have to get Kohler and we just ordered 3 new mowers.

Rant Over.
While I was at the shop I noticed that there was only 1 Exmark with a Kohler. The other dozen plus all had Kawasaki's on them. I didnt see a Kohler on any of the SKaggs or Toro's either. Close to 40 or more mowers and 1 kohler.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llee3 View Post
While I was at the shop I noticed that there was only 1 Exmark with a Kohler. The other dozen plus all had Kawasaki's on them. I didnt see a Kohler on any of the SKaggs or Toro's either. Close to 40 or more mowers and 1 kohler.
OEM" s are cutting corners like everybody else, Kohler engines are the most expensive to produce and therefore more expensive to buy.....Even when you're buying 1000-5000 at a time.
Kawasaki and Briggs offer the same warranties at a lower price. Reduce your unit cost and increase the profits. NEXT STOP......CHINA.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
OEM" s are cutting corners like everybody else, Kohler engines are the most expensive to produce and therefore more expensive to buy.....Even when you're buying 1000-5000 at a time.
Kawasaki and Briggs offer the same warranties at a lower price. Reduce your unit cost and increase the profits. NEXT STOP......CHINA.
Defenatly cost cutting. The 34hp Kawasaki 72" Exmark is/was $400 cheaper than the 34hp Kohler 72".
2 - Gator XUV 620i
2 - Gator XUV 825i Power Steering
2 - Toro Workman HDX 4200

Tags
kohler , kohler command 20 , lazer z hp