Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, pump, error conundrum

I have a site that runs off a well. hunter icc, batrow pump start. The clock is randomly giving me errors, sometimes P, sometimes on random zones. if i turn the clock off, and turn on an error zone, it will fire. all zones test out within operating range.

i'm thinking either the PSR, or the well itself, or the clock for that matter (i've been seeing ICC's go squirrelly lately, this one is '05)

i'm looking for some insight. anyone have this come up?

and aside from testing voltage through the PSR, is there anything else i can do to check the integrity of PSR, and well wiring?

thanks for any help

pat
Old 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a similar set up that was doing that this spring and it was turning on zones by itself. I replaced it with the big RB esp. works fine now and I have gotten away from using hunter controllers because of these weird stuff.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If everything checks out with your multimeter than I would say the controller.

If you have a remote you can use your remote , bypass the power being ran from the controller and test everything electrically on the field too. That would fully confirm it
Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
I have a site that runs off a well. hunter icc, batrow pump start. The clock is randomly giving me errors, sometimes P, sometimes on random zones. if i turn the clock off, and turn on an error zone, it will fire. all zones test out within operating range.

i'm thinking either the PSR, or the well itself, or the clock for that matter (i've been seeing ICC's go squirrelly lately, this one is '05)

i'm looking for some insight. anyone have this come up?

and aside from testing voltage through the PSR, is there anything else i can do to check the integrity of PSR, and well wiring?

thanks for any help

pat
How close is the PSR to the clock? Ive never had an issue , but they say you can.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

PSR is close, but i don't think that's a problem. i'm gonna be there today for something else and i'll take a look at PSR. it's either that or the well pump, i think.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

so what's the current draw of the PSR?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From Hunter's specs:

Transformer output: 24VAC, 1.5A
Station output: 24VAC, 0.56A (2 valves)
Maximum total output: 24VAC, 1.4A (5 valves),
includes master valve circuit
Master valve output: 24VAC, 0.28A
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When encountering an issue with an older Hunter controller I have learned the hard way to examine the ribbon strip from the controller face plate leading into the chassis.

If the ribbon strip shows any signs of problems like cracked insulation, brown marks, is stiff or "crackles" when you move it side to side = change out the controller and chassis.

Regarding checking the PSR or well wiring, I'd first check the P/MV wires leading into the PSR for continuity. I have experienced 16 gauge wires that broke due to several bends leading from the controller to the PSR resulting in intermittent contact causing the PSR to "flutter" leading to error codes.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the well motor with a multi-meter. Once you know the motor spec's and get the wire size you should be able to find what the motor should ohm. I have also observed a symptom where the motor was in the process of crapping out and caused random error codes in the controller as well.

However, from what you described I'd first check the ribbon strip. Seems Hunter had a quality control problem on pre 2009 controllers with the ribbon strip and transformers mounted in the chassis.

I have never encountered a problem where a PSR has interfered with a controller - I suppose theoretically it could happen but in over twenty years I haven't encountered this once.

I carry a "field use" controller with modules in my truck just for controller problems. I temporarily wire in the field use controller and if the problems abate then I know I am on the right track.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input. i did not get to look a that system today. i was tied up with a mainline reroute (400' of 3") on another park of the system. seems the original installer went a little to far into the right of way and, 15 years later, the township has decided to widen the road. can you say "goodbye mainline"?

i'll be back down on monday and will take a look. i'll be on this site a lot, as management has approved almost 30K in upgrades.

i think it's the well.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can picture the city workers braking the 3" ML and have no clue where to turn it off