Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depleting, and fast!

The growth rate has really hit the skids for me. Some of my properties hardly have anything to cut this week. And, it was three weeks ago(?) that I was sloshing in the mud and water!

We got about 0.30" rain on Tuesday, and a very brief shower about 3:00 today. But, we need rain (did I just say that?) to keep it going. I see there is nothing in the forecast, except some possible T-storms. They are too hit/miss, and if "hit" the water comes too fast.

What have others received this week for rain?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Depleting, and fast!

The growth rate has really hit the skids for me. Some of my properties hardly have anything to cut this week. And, it was three weeks ago(?) that I was sloshing in the mud and water!

We got about 0.30" rain on Tuesday, and a very brief shower about 3:00 today. But, we need rain (did I just say that?) to keep it going. I see there is nothing in the forecast, except some possible T-storms. They are too hit/miss, and if "hit" the water comes too fast.

I hear you. I could of skipped a few yards this week because of the lack of growth. Today I banged out 10 yards in what seemed like in half of the time it took me just a few weeks ago. Most of my customers treat me very well and let me just continue mowing during these dry spells. Even when there is nothing to mow many of my customers will still have me cut. Either way I am lining up some brushclearing jobs for some added revenue. Last year I did not miss any weeks mowing.
Toro super recycler
Husky trimmers
Echo trimmers
Husky BP blower
DR commercial brushmower-17HP Kaw/30" deck
Echo stick edger
Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 F-150 Supercrew
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Depleting, and fast!

Unreal how fast the growth dropped off, some of my lawns are browning up but most are still fairly green. Luckily I have enough landscaping jobs to hold me through this dry spell if customers don't want their lawns mowed. Amazing it went from 50 and rainy to 90 and sunny in about 2 weeks. Blah!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the 15044 as I've seen some other guys post on here as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I cut yesterday with this bad cold i have (first day of summer and i had a cold) i have my deck on 4 inches and the grass hasn't grown much since last week. I can't trust the weather channel anymore after this spring.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Western PA Landscapers! Show off your work...

Show all those other landscapers why Western PA landscape companies are the best! Enter the Extreme Dream Contest and Win A Free New Holland L218Skid Steer Loader!

Bookmark http://www.lawnsite.com/extremedream2011 for quick access to this contest any time!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry for the multiple posts guys... lawn king rt.8 is horrible. I went to get onto it from my street for my last hs final wednesday and it was backed up from the red by hovis past citizens bank (in hampton) so i had to back down my road into the bank and take a different way. at that same intersection i'm glad they fixed that man hole cover that damn near swallowed my ranger.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
I can't trust the weather channel anymore after this spring.
I became very frustrated with the weather channel this year. I am sure it was a tough year for you guys who cut grass, as a hydroseeder it was a tough one for me too. It was a great spring for growing grass but finding times when it wasn't pouring down rain to go out and seed a lawn was a real bummer. I had lots of days when the weather channel forcast rain, thunder, lighting with an 80% chance that I put off seeding and never saw a drop of rain. This is the only year that I remember that I lost jobs because the rain put me so far behind and had the weather channel been accurate that would not have happened.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

the best one is 50% chance of scattered showers. so in other words... we don't have a clue.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Wednesday and Thursday are the exact reason I picked this screen name. Raking out lawns and baking in the sun

Tags
n'at!