Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising

I know there probably many other threads about this and many other options, but how did you guys advertise just getting started to land those first couple of accounts? Just start out with family and friends and they spread it by word of mouth?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is the way to go. Tell your family and friends. Word will get around and before long you will have a yard. Make sure that you work your a$$ off on the first couple of yards. Quality work will get you more yards.
- Poulan Blower
- Toro Pushmower
- 2000 Chevy Half Ton
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Craigslist got me my first three properties in one weekend.

Word of mouth is the slowest way to grow, next to sitting on your ass hoping for customers to fall in your lap, and the worst advice to give someone wanting to get started. Its good, but it doesn't just come to you starting out.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I know it just doesn't come. I work for this landscaping company right now and did some work for my aunt over the weekend. She said she would help creating a business plan and I was just wondering. I've talked to many neighbors and family members and got some business cards made up.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khowell0 View Post
I know it just doesn't come. I work for this landscaping company right now and did some work for my aunt over the weekend. She said she would help creating a business plan and I was just wondering. I've talked to many neighbors and family members and got some business cards made up.
Look into a book called START YOUR OWN LAWN CARE OR LANDSCAPE BUSINESS. It has some descent information in it can be checked out at most libraries. If yours doesn't have it, ask them to do a inter-library loan. It is written for Entrepreneur magazine.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutyourgrass View Post
Look into a book called START YOUR OWN LAWN CARE OR LANDSCAPE BUSINESS. It has some descent information in it can be checked out at most libraries. If yours doesn't have it, ask them to do a inter-library loan. It is written for Entrepreneur magazine.

I'll look into that book. Have you heard of the Sean Adams Lawn care & Landscaping success package? If so, what do you think about it? Is it actually as good as everyone's saying it is?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khowell0 View Post
I'll look into that book. Have you heard of the Sean Adams Lawn care & Landscaping success package? If so, what do you think about it? Is it actually as good as everyone's saying it is?
I have not but the one piece of information I did purchase isn't as helpful as the book. In fact, I don't have Microsoft office so I can not even use the forms and templates included with it.

The book has some pretty good information in it. If you would like the cd's I purchased for starting a lawn care service, let me know. I haven't even opened them and I don't really have a use for them. i'll be happy to mail them to you.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutyourgrass View Post
I have not but the one piece of information I did purchase isn't as helpful as the book. In fact, I don't have Microsoft office so I can not even use the forms and templates included with it.

The book has some pretty good information in it. If you would like the cd's I purchased for starting a lawn care service, let me know. I haven't even opened them and I don't really have a use for them. i'll be happy to mail them to you.
Could you mail them? I'll PM you my address.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Sponsor

Hey there - our company has some great start up specials for customers such as yourself. Our Band-It Stick-It Products are a great way to get your company name out there. The Band-It makes sure your ad stays securely attached to the door instead of ending up as litter in the lawn & the Stick-It® allows the consumer to bring your ad inside & hang it on their fridge. This is crucial because consumers constantly put things off & this allows them to keep your ad top of mind until they make that crucial decision.

Our current DOORHANGER (Band-It Stick-It) Special:
$99.00 - 1,000 each / 4.25 x 11 / FULL COLOR front / blank back
GLOSS COVER paper stock / INCLUDES 1 HOUR OF CUSTOM DESIGN!!

check out our site for more specials, read customer testimonials or watch videos of our products in action www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers

or REQUEST FREE SAMPLES of our products to try out yourself www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples

Thank you!
Robin
Adeas Printing
866-778-4254
robin@adeasprinting.com