Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure are alot of us out there Tim... but pretty funny how more and more customers just dont want to do the simple stuff anymore. So there is plenty of work out there. I was actually thinking about starting a thread for our area (north Pitt)... but it was going to be more geared towards a black ball customer list... just warning other LCO's about customers that werent worth the hassel to deal with... Ive run into a few over the years. Wasnt sure if we could get into any trouble on here by warning others about a potential customer? Any suggestions? Just finished my last 3 lawns and having a beer as I write this... yup.. life is good
Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap15101 View Post
Sure are alot of us out there Tim... but pretty funny how more and more customers just dont want to do the simple stuff anymore. So there is plenty of work out there. I was actually thinking about starting a thread for our area (north Pitt)... but it was going to be more geared towards a black ball customer list... just warning other LCO's about customers that werent worth the hassel to deal with... Ive run into a few over the years. Wasnt sure if we could get into any trouble on here by warning others about a potential customer? Any suggestions? Just finished my last 3 lawns and having a beer as I write this... yup.. life is good
Honestly, I'd keep the black customer lists private. I just don't want anybody to get in trouble.

However, if you do decide to start a public black list, just start another thread

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Rake i cross my fingers anytime i drive through northern regional's turf.
I hear you...they're ruthless. I've never gotten into any trouble with them, but I'm generally not hauling a trailer too much through there.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have always kept a spare tire on trailers. I really need to find a place and time to mount one on my dump trailer its not such a big deal with tandems because you can still drive with one flat. But my dump is a single axle
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
its not such a big deal with tandems because you can still drive with one flat. But my dump is a single axle
I won't try that again. The one time I tried to pull a dual axle trailer after getting a flat, the flat shredded and was flying all over the road.

The black list of customers may not be that bad of an idea. The exact opposite of angies list. We did some work for a guy last year who asked for a little time to pay his bill. My boss agreed but when it was getting to be too long of a wait and my boss called him for it, the guy left a message accusing us of "pulling a stunt" that almost got his neighbor killed, he knew it was us because he has cameras and he said he filed attempted homicide charges. Of course, it was all bs to scare my boss from calling back for the money. It worked. And while most people would call his bluff, this customer isn't worth the hassle.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake 'n Bake View Post
I won't try that again. The one time I tried to pull a dual axle trailer after getting a flat, the flat shredded and was flying all over the road.

The black list of customers may not be that bad of an idea. The exact opposite of angies list. We did some work for a guy last year who asked for a little time to pay his bill. My boss agreed but when it was getting to be too long of a wait and my boss called him for it, the guy left a message accusing us of "pulling a stunt" that almost got his neighbor killed, he knew it was us because he has cameras and he said he filed attempted homicide charges. Of course, it was all bs to scare my boss from calling back for the money. It worked. And while most people would call his bluff, this customer isn't worth the hassle.
Wow that's crazy! I had a customer actually last week that was a major pita! He didn't like my original price for mulch with prep so he was going to do the prep (tons of weeds). When I showed up it wasn't done. I had to weed wack all of the weeds and spray. I did it to be nice because I care about my work but it bothered me to half ass it and to know that it'll be full of weeds this week. Then he told me he used 5 yards of mulch when I was figuring on 10 to 15 yards. So I did 5. He wanted it less than an inch thick (being a previous landscaper he should have known that this is not the way to do it). I was still short and convinced him to go with 2 more yards. Needless to say that still wasn't enough. So I told him I would be over in 2 weeks when I was mulching again and finish the half of a yard I needed in the back corner. He said it was ok and the next day I get a call asking in I was coming that day to finish mulching. I was fed up with him so I went over then next day and did it. the whole time he kept saying I don't think you can get 5 yards of mulch on your truck. I don't believe you. So needless to say I will be avoiding him from now on. And I learned a lesson. Don't cut people a break and go above and beyond because they expect everything for free. And I think the angies list for customers would be a great idea. I was actually thinking about making something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone get stuck in traffic on 79 south today? Takin me 40 minutes to get from cranberry to crafton right now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

And now after seeing the reason I feel terrible for complaining... there was a car flipped in the median
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetlc View Post
Anyone get stuck in traffic on 79 south today? Takin me 40 minutes to get from cranberry to crafton right now
Posted via Mobile Device
We always get hit Mondays on our way to Robinson. I was actually in Crafton from 8-9 doing the CVS, then an HOA a little up towards Robinson more off 60.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in the normal Mingo bridge construction on 79 south between Warrendale and Wexford. In fact, I passed an MMC pickup with a dump insert at about 7:30 this morning while I was pulling our trailer and Bobcat.

Tags
n'at!