Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on used Scag Tiger Cub?

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Tiger Cub for about 5K. It's a 2007, 61" with the 23 horse Briggs. 91 hours (yes, *91*). I haven't found much information on this model so haven't been able to find many reviews on its durability or longevity. We have 6 acres, but only mow about 2.5 of those, mostly flat. We have another 2.5 acres that we allow to grow as meadows that we would probably want to mow about twice a year. (In the past we've used a brush hog, but we sold that as it was cumbersome and seemed to be overkill...it's just very tall grass now, no rocks or trees)
So basically, I'm hoping for a few things; First, for some insight into what we might expect from this particular model in terms of durability, reliability, and any known issues. And with that, does that seem to be a decent price? Taking into consideration that it would be used primarily for mowing a couple of flat acres of yard, is it optimistic to hope that we could use it to mow the meadows I mentioned a couple of times a year, and/or, would that be an inordinate amount of abuse for this mower?
TIA
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So Hard to put a price on these things, but brand new they ran from about $6200-$7000K brand new, considering the years and hours, maybe a good price, maybe not? The mower itself is indestructible, Scag builds a great mower, great seats too!! The question is the engine? Is this a Vanguard or an ELS?? 23hp sounds awful small for a 61" unless it is a Vanguard. There was some problems with those early ELS engines, something with the airfilters or housing for the filter, might want to look into to it, or maybe if someone in here knows. Overall sounds like you found a great machine and could work out very nicely for you.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 06-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny you should mention that air filter housing. That's the only thing (apparent) that's wrong with this mower; the hold down for the air filter housing is missing. Maybe that's the issue, that the hold down straps come loose and fall off.
Any thoughts on using it to cut the high grass in our meadows? This mower is actually a little more than we were planning to spend on a used piece, as we were also planning to try and pick up a used DR walk-behind brush mower. But if this Scag will handle it, then we can more readily justify the extra cost.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a price guide
http://www.mowpart.com/pages.php?pID=4&CDpath=3
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 06-15-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfixer View Post
Funny you should mention that air filter housing. That's the only thing (apparent) that's wrong with this mower; the hold down for the air filter housing is missing. Maybe that's the issue, that the hold down straps come loose and fall off.
Any thoughts on using it to cut the high grass in our meadows? This mower is actually a little more than we were planning to spend on a used piece, as we were also planning to try and pick up a used DR walk-behind brush mower. But if this Scag will handle it, then we can more readily justify the extra cost.
No a little more than falling off, more like blowing the engine!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what you're referring to, if we're talking about the same problem or not. The only issue with this particular mower (that I know of) is a small strap that holds the filter housing in place, it keeps it from rattling around (they have a bungee in place now which is keeping it quiet..and the replacement strap is cheap) all of the components are intact, so it's not allowing any unfiltered air into the carb. Is there something else with this motor I should know about? It is the Briggs (Vanguard) BTW.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfixer View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to, if we're talking about the same problem or not. The only issue with this particular mower (that I know of) is a small strap that holds the filter housing in place, it keeps it from rattling around (they have a bungee in place now which is keeping it quiet..and the replacement strap is cheap) all of the components are intact, so it's not allowing any unfiltered air into the carb. Is there something else with this motor I should know about? It is the Briggs (Vanguard) BTW.
Nah your good, this is what I asked if it was an ELS or a Vanguard engine. The Vanguard is a commercial grade engine, which the ELS is residential engine. Sounds like a great mower for the money. Is there anyway you could demo it on your property?

If your not familiar with ZTR mowers, they have fast blade tip speed and they also have a fast ground speed. Believe it or not you could cut the whole 6 acres in a couple of hours! Unless there are any mechanical issues with the mower, sounds like a really good deal and perfect for the property! If you go into the commercial mowing forum and do a search on this mower, I am sure you will find some info on this machine!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 1st and 2nd generation of the ELS engine had an airfilter seating problem that allowed dirt in the engine causing it to blow the engine. The 3rd generation had a crankshaft load problem that was dropping oil seals on the 60" mowers. The current generation just has to have the valves adjusted as part of maintenance(I think any task that takes a mechanic an hour should be called a repair)
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaters View Post
The 1st and 2nd generation of the ELS engine had an airfilter seating problem that allowed dirt in the engine causing it to blow the engine. The 3rd generation had a crankshaft load problem that was dropping oil seals on the 60" mowers. The current generation just has to have the valves adjusted as part of maintenance(I think any task that takes a mechanic an hour should be called a repair)
Thanks for that input! I had heard about the early ELS airfilter problems, never knew what exactly the problem was! Fortunately for this mower it has the Vanguard engine.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input. The seller stated they had a local equipment company (the original reseller) provide them with an estimated value approximately 700 above what they are asking. Naturally I figured it best to confirm that, although I suspected it wasn't unreasonable. I know new these priced about $7700. With the low hours and very light use I figured what they are asking is fair. I did check it out last night, that B&S motor sounds nice! I'm not generally a fan of B&S, but I have to admit I was impressed with the way this one sounds.
I don't have any real-world experience with this kind of ZTR mower, but did help a friend one summer with his lawn care business, so I'm pretty good with a walker. (His whole fleet was Scags) so, yeah, the reduction in time was my main interest. I've been cutting that 2 1/2 acres with a 48" Craftsman lawn tractor, and man, it just takes all day. I have to figure I'll be able to polish off my main areas in just a little over an hour with a 61" ZTR rider. Lord, I'm gonna be takin' all KINDS of naps!

Tags
brush , review , scag , tiger cub