Register free!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Selective Weed Control in Ornamental Beds?

Yes, I'm licensed for ornamental beds, I just don't do much of it. Mostly, good cultural practices and hand weeding is enough. However, I have some beds that we're losing the battle on, the weeds are getting worse after 3 season of hand weeding, and the labor time is getting out of hand.

Particularly, I'm looking to control bindweed/morning glory and thistles in beds with low-spreading junipers and english ivy.

I've put in a call to our rep, but am curious to any real-world experience some of you might have in large commercial beds with weed infestations.

I'm entirely responsible for the plantings on these properties, and honestly, I'm about to dig it all out, spray with glyphosate every 2 weeks until it's all dead, and start over.

Help!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using gly and handweeding. I just added surflan. The gly works good but I want to decrease time spraying currently about everyother week. So I would say gly and weeding mayb spike it wit surflan for better pre m control
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look in to the Fusilade label, as well. This will help much of what you're trying to accomplish.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxtersEssentialLawnCare View Post
I have been using gly and handweeding. I just added surflan. The gly works good but I want to decrease time spraying currently about everyother week. So I would say gly and weeding mayb spike it wit surflan for better pre m control
wouldn't gly kill or turn the ivy/juniper brown? I think he's looking for a product that will kill the weeds and not the ivy/juniper.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnroscoe View Post
Yes, I'm licensed for ornamental beds, I just don't do much of it. Mostly, good cultural practices and hand weeding is enough. However, I have some beds that we're losing the battle on, the weeds are getting worse after 3 season of hand weeding, and the labor time is getting out of hand.

Particularly, I'm looking to control bindweed/morning glory and thistles in beds with low-spreading junipers and english ivy.

I've put in a call to our rep, but am curious to any real-world experience some of you might have in large commercial beds with weed infestations.

I'm entirely responsible for the plantings on these properties, and honestly, I'm about to dig it all out, spray with glyphosate every 2 weeks until it's all dead, and start over.

Help!
Lontrel...........
Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Just looked up the label on Lontrel, looks like it's worth a shot. Thanks YardPro!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

check out the Image label