Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbigge View Post
I threw plastic baggies with my biz card and two pieces of hard candy (Brand name such as Brachs in wrappers!) by front doors during down time. I mow as a side line and found about 1/3 of customers with this method.
if you want a "SWEET" manicured lawn give me a call
Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually knocked on the doors at first. I'm not the best salesman in the world, but I don't think this is more efficient than just leaving a flyer. Most people are going to say no, so, in my opinion, you've wasted that time waiting for them to come to the door and talking to them. Let's say that you're response rate (if that's what you call it) is 2%. Then you have to pass out 100 flyers to get 2 calls back. If you go door to door you might raise the response rate a little, but it will take much longer to knock on all those doors, so I'd prefer to use that time passing out more flyers. One thing I will be doing again this year that I don't see very much:

I am making a space on my flyer to write in an estimate. This could end up being a waste of time as well, but it doesn't take very long; in fact you could write the estimate in while you are walking to the door. I'm not going to do look in their back yard though, so I have to put a disclaimer ("estimate based on front lawn"). If they actually read the flyer, it might help if they like the estimate you give them.