Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Single Axel Insurance and Billing Questions

I am looking at buying a single Axel 31k GVW truck. When I contacted my insurance company they said it would be $2k for 1 mil comprehensive coverage of the truck and 18 foot 5 ton trailer I currently have. My question is how many people just have collision and liability coverage and what do they pay for single axles?

The second question is how do you bill for hauling with a single? I plan to only haul when people need 8 tons or less of material but I'm not sure how to bill. How much do most people add on top of gas and material cost?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could either bill by the hour or flat rate. I'm not sure what the market would bear in your area (which is what really matters) but in my area if I ran a single axle dump truck I feel I would need to get a minimum of $75 per hour or at least $100 per local delivery to make it pencil out.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Hosejockey. So for a local delivery you would charge $100 plus cost of material? How far would you go and still consider local before charging extra for fuel? 20 to 30 miles?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you planning on just hauling for people or will the truck be used in your jobs so that you dont have to pay a delivery fee? Around here, you can get up to 12 tons of mulch, rock, block, etc. delivered for a flat rate of $30 up to 15 miles for just material. But then if I am hauling debris or whatever away from their house, it would be substantially more of course.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were doing it a local delivery would be very close, like within a 20 minute drive. I would charge the delivery plus material cost. Or as an alternative you could mark up the material substantially and have a minimum order. Either way you have to charge enough to cover the truck expenses and make money.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A dump truck is for your convenience. You don't really save or make money with one. Especially a single axle.

I got rid of mine for that reason. I could get tri-axles all day long for $75 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device