Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my grass? (picture)

Hello grass experts

I am just a new home owner who was looking on the internet for answers to a problem I am having with my lawn when I discovered this forum. I am hoping you can help me out. I have some spots in my lawn that get bare of grass and what appears to me to be moss takes hold. However, I question if this is moss because it's only in the parts of my lawn that get the most sun and seems to get worse as the summer goes on and the weather gets warmer and sunnier. From the little I know (think I know) about moss it's in shady damp areas. Below are some pictures, starting looking from far out to where you can just see the grass appears to be thinning, to a closer shot of a bare spot up close.

Also, how do I treat whatever this is and get my grass back to normal? Thanks!

Edit: I live in upstate NY if that tells you anything.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like it could be moss. when fungus grows into clumps like that they usually only last a couple of weeks then they complete their life cycle...

I would look at perculation issues, such as real thatch and surface compaction... After irrigation see how deep the water goes into the root zone...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Moss is opportunistic, and can thrive even in sunny areas, but good turf will almost always defeat it even in damp areas, if the soil has proper nutrients. Have you had a soil test? It could need lime or just fertilizing. Soil test is best, but if not, try an experiment seeding in three bare patches with whatever grass you use: then, put down just lime in one patch, fert and lime in another, and just fert in the third. Let us know what happens.