Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is my pond, this photo was taken a few days ago and at about 7pm CST. As you can see it's still in the sunlight even in the evening.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i don't think that worked with the pic, let me retry and see if i can get it right.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, let's see if this works....
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Tad - as far as the filter goes, i don't currently have a picture of it, but let me try to explain it to you and see if it makes sense; The pump has a 2" line that runs into the filter container, then there are 4 foam filters. The water is then pumped back out of the filter and up into the falls.

Does that help any?

Either i misunderstood you or vise-versa b/c i don't clean it twice a day, but about every 2 maybe 3 days at the most. And every time i pull the filters out they are covered with green algae.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe some type of temporary awning-type structure would provide some shade, at least during mid-day.

This must be an older picture 'cause the water appears fairly clear.

Provide shade; add plants; cut back or temporarily stop feeding the fish and the algae problem will abate as the nutrient levels drop. Be aware that this will not happen overnight and may take some time to show results, but this is the permanent solution. Until then, my friend, plan on continuing to clean the filter pads often.

This should definitely fuel your desire to construct your new pond correctly.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe it was addressed but I didn't see it but how much debris is n the bottom better yet how much muck? If your cleaning filters every two days or so it tells me that there is a lot debris in the pond it also suggests that the current filter pads are beyond viable and need replaced. Another problem I see is that u added koi to a 500 gallon pond not just a couple but 10 that is a big no no in such a small pond you are over populated w fish and I mean with the waste they produce. People don't seem to realize that koi will grow to max even in a small pond and the amount of waste they produce is crazy. One full size koi produces as much waste as 8-9 goldfish so u can do the math. Plants are a must in any pond and chemicals are a very last resort. Most chemicals don't even work and they r just sales gimmicks to produce a buck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping;4076277) If your cleaning filters every two days or so it tells me that there is a lot debris in the pond it also suggests that the current filter pads are beyond viable and need replaced.[size=1
Posted via Mobile Device[/size]
Greg-
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the filter mats ARE filtering out the algae and debris, how can you say that they are not viable and need replacing? They are doing what they are designed to do...filter. And if they are clogging, they are filtering efficiently.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

What I mean is that the pad as broken down or has become old and have lost their density to hold all the debris that is needed to be filter. His pads are filtering but not as well as they were when they where new. As you know their are many types of filter pads out their and his external filter is a pressurized one more than likely and their pads do tend to break down more so than others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
What I mean is that the pad as broken down or has become old and have lost their density to hold all the debris that is needed to be filtered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, much like my old underwear which, at my age, is called upon to perform some occasional "filtering".
Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea well that all "depends" on what needs the filtering and how often lol lol....
Posted via Mobile Device