Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 18v dewalt as well. Had it for about 4 years. Been a time saver many times. Had a blowout on the trailer this week. In no time I was back on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 18v dewalt and its defiantly one of the best things I ever bought. I always change blades at lunch and sometimes change them again for the last few lawns so it works wonders for me. I use it in the shop also even though we have air and a impact rigth there. Its just faster and easier. I bet I go for two weeks on a charge. It only runs for a split second per blade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Bosch 1/2" 18V. I think the model was 21618. I mainly bought it because a dealer on Ebay had a smoking deal on them. $200 shipped minus Bing cashback at the time. I emailed Bosch to make sure they were legit, then purchased it.

I have to say, I was expecting it would do blades pretty easily, but thought it might struggle with the lugs on my F350. But for $170 to my door, I figured I couldn't beat it. Well, it turns out it doesn't have trouble with anything that I have thrown at it. To boot, it was made assembled in the U.S. I was pleasently surprised by this purchase.

They don't make this particular model anymore, but this is the replacement http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...?pid=HTH181-01
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guy put the blades back on with the impact, or just use it for busting them loose?

I change my blades every couple days, so the bolts are pretty easy with just a ratchet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I put mine back on with the impact. I sure hope you don't ever have a hand UNDER the deck to use a ratchet or hold a wrench. I almost limited my counting ability to 9 doing that. Blood every where. Bought the dewalt the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see it guys...

Say what you like, but if electric impacts are all the rage, what's the purpose for air tools?
Now I can't remember but if I had to guess at the reason why I never bought an electric impact would be most likely a cost issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
I carry a set of DeWalt 18v stuff and basic hand tools. The impact make life easier. I have no need for air tools at my house.
That's fine, all I'm saying is don't go out spending $100 on an electric impact when you don't even have a
decently FULL set of hand tools, but I don't think I meant you, I am using this opportunity to clarify as much.

As for air tools, I can name dozens of uses, once you have a tank and compressor, impacts are hardly the only use.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

18V DeWalt fan here too. I wanted one after using a friends to help him change the sweeps on his field cultivator (60 or 70 of them at least). Being I have 18V DeWalt tools already I went with the same brand and with 300 ft. lbs I am more than happy.

And Topsites before you go preaching on your pedestal about handtools again, I have enough to supply 3 or 4 mowing crews with enough to tackle basic problems they might encounter in a week. I am not running several crews but I do like the fact there is not an air hose to drag around, I don't have to listen to a compressor run, and if I want to take it 10 miles from the house I don't have to take a compressor and generator with me.

I use it to remove and install blades, and babies are still born naked!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I managed to pick up a new Craftsman 20v lithium ion impact on Ebay. It didn't have a battery but I already had an extra battery for my drill. It has 1200 ft lbs of torque. Must've been a slow day when I purchased it as I picked it up for only $45.
30 years in business
Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malblackbelt05 View Post
looks like I'll be getting a dewalt 18 volt. I have a 18 volt kit that needs the batteries replaced anyway so that would make the most sense for me! Thanks for all your input. And by the way topsites I do have hand tools and they do get used, but it seems like it would be way more efficient to use a tool like this to do blade changes....
especially when working alone on blade changes (Vs. blocking blade with 2x4 and holding mower and fiddling with blades

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watatrp View Post
I managed to pick up a new Craftsman 20v lithium ion impact on Ebay. It didn't have a battery but I already had an extra battery for my drill. It has 1200 ft lbs of torque. Must've been a slow day when I purchased it as I picked it up for only $45.
1200 ft lbs torque is pretty optomistic ,bet its more like 300 or less .Whats the model # ?

Tags
blades , change , impact , tires , truck