Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2004, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmm. I have not noticed this, and I think I have been stopping a fair amount while mowing. I'll keep a closer eye on things and let you know what I see.

dlh2, are you still pleased with your mulch kit? I'm happy with its ability to mulch, but I still get a fair amount of clippings that settle on the black shelves / baffles that were installed as part of the kit. When conditions are very dry and I'm following the rule to cut no more than 1/3 of the lenght of the grass, it's not too bad. This is sometimes difficult for me, as my grass seems to grow beyond the 1/3 rule in 2 - 3 days (especially after fertilizing). If I mow after 5 - 7 days, there is very severe clumping and packing in all the nooks and crannies under the deck. I'm looking for a convenient way to have better access to the underside of the deck so that I can spray it off after each mowing. I'm thinking maybe of jacking up the front end of the mower to see if I can powerwash the deck.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Boo

I'm not having any problem with grass build-up under the deck or clumping when I mulch. The underside of my deck is clean after mowing. Maybe it's just the difference in our grass types. I cut my centipede at 2 1/2 to 3 inches, but it's a real slow growing grass so I'm not cutting much off with each mowing. A couple of thoughts...are you sure they put the mulching blades on when they installed your kit? They look just like the standard blades only they have a longer cutting edge. Something you might try is leave the mulch kit on, but remove the plate that closes off the side discharge chute. That might keep all the mulched clippings from building up under the deck. I've read where some of the people that use Gator blades to mulch with have to leave the discharge chute open to prevent clumping and build-up under their decks.

Let me know if you see any burned places in your grass when you let the mower idle in one spot on your lawn. I've e-mailed Snapper about this but don't have a reply yet.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I suspect my grass type is making a difference. I have a mixture of rye and kentucky blue, and it is very dense and tends to retain a lot of moisture (which adds to the problem). I have confirmed that I have the mulch blades installed. This last week I did exactly what you said and left the discharge plate off. This did help with the clumping, but the grass was long enough that it left some visible clippings on the yard. I fertilized a couple weeks ago and my grass is growing extremely fast.

On the dead grass/idle situation, is it your exhaust that is killing the grass, or something else? How long are you sitting in one place to cause the damage?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

New Simplicity ZT 1844

After reading your thread and doing a lot of other research, I purchased the Simplicity ZT 1844 two weeks ago. Thanks for the information you provided and the pictures.

The mower is great! It reduced my mowing time from around 2 hours with a small walk behing to a little less than 1/2 hour. I am really pleased with the purchase.

I have two questions and would appreciate your feedback if you ran into the same issues:

First, is there a way to lower the striping roller? At the two highest cut settings, it has no visible effect.

Second, I changed the oil and filter after the 5 hour break-in period. What a mess changing the filter. Simplicity provided a flexible hose for the engine oil drain which worked great, but removing the drain plug below the oil filter and the oil filter was a hassle and made a mess. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the information you guys posted here!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess I will watch the answer to this as well, I purchased my 18/44 Simplicity tonight as well
Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm considering the Simplicity, but I'm not sure if this is enough mower or if it's worth it to step up to a commercial grade. The simplicity is $4000 and the cheapest 44" commercial mower is about $1500 to $2000 more. For example, the Exmark 44" HP is $6000 and the Ferris 1500z 44" is about $5300 (same manufacturer as Simplicity).

My dilemna is this - thie Simplicity is intended for homeowner use, but I may decide to do some commercial work at some point (likelihood 50% or less). In that case, the feedback I got was that the Simplicity is great for homeowner use, but not up to the task for commercial use, primarily because of the lighter deck and slower speed. I usually tend to over-buy, but doing so for something smaller, say a blower, means a couple hundred more. For this, it's a couple thousand more. Is it really worth it?
For homeowner use, Simplicity seems to make the best model and is the only one I can find that in this mid-range.

Another consideration is cut quality. I'm using a Tru-Cut reel mower and mow at about 1/2". It looks great, but I need to mow it at least every 3 days (ideally more). I know I can't cut at the this height with any rotary mower, but I'm wondering how it looks at the lowest setting. Bermuda does best when cut low and frequently, but I'm concerned that with a wide deck, it would find the high spots and scalp them. I hear that Simplicity does the best job in cut quality, but I'm trying to determine how it would compare with a reel mower.

Any more first-hand advise would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I would second that question of Grassmeister here.

I almost purchased a Consumer Z. Then I passed a Toro dealer and saw a Z Master 100. It weighs about 250 pounds more and you can see that too. This is considered a light commercial mower here. The price of the Toro is about 40% more though.....

But I ran into an almost new Z100 with 73 hrs on the clock for the same price as the new Simplicity and the guy wants to give me an extra year warranty (He's an official dealer) and a good trade in price for my old mower. I am going to check it out on friday.

You guys have any special thoughts on the comparison between the Toro Z 100 and the Consumer Z?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

lwnnut

I have an 18/44 Simplicity ZT and have experienced the burn spots. I have sent an e-mail to Simplicity MFG describing the problem and have not heard from them yet. I was thinking about putting a heat shield of foil faced 7/16 foam in the tray below the muffler. What I don't know is if this will cause any problems. I would appreciate some of the experts replying on this idea.

Last edited by lwnnut; 06-27-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an 18/44 Simplicity ZT and have experienced the burn spots. I have sent an e-mail to Simplicity MFG describing the problem and have not heard from them yet. I was thinking about putting a heat shield of foil faced 7/16 foam in the tray below the muffler. What I don't know is if this will cause any problems. I would appreciate some of the experts replying on this idea.