Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess AMEN is not AMEN to all.

K, I will defend my statements. Keep in mind that I very well know that I will never begin to know as much as the gurus on this site. The Mensas so to speak. They know who they are. I will explain my position in what I will call laymans' terms. A bit simple for a lot of you but it is what I have based my position on.

This all began when I took issue with blanket statements that a booster pump will not increase GPM. And I stand by my position that a booster most certainly can increase GPM. It will not always do so, but it can. And this is in direct opposition to "a booster cannot increase GPM".

Here is as simple as it gets. Per Rainbird, a 5004 rotor with a 2 GPM nozzle will flow at 1.50 GPM at 25 PSI. This same head and nozzle will flow at 2.3 GPM at 55 PSI.

If I arrive on a property and find 6 of these heads at 25 PSI and the homeowner is not impressed as they are merely "peeing". Total GPM is 9.
I add a booster pump that pushes the PSI to 60 and the heads are fantastic. But the GPM is now 13.8. What increased the flow if not the pump? The water was always available but the PSI was not. Regardless of the pipe size, or meter size, or PVB or whatever, in this instance the booster has increased GPM.

As the flames may come, I will put on the heat shield and learn from folks that do not agree with this. I just do not find a flaw with my logic.

John
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcom View Post
The Mensas so to speak.
When referring to more than one person from the group Mensa, it is not "Mensas" it is "Mensans". My girlfriend is going to Portland to the Mensa AG (Annual Gathering), tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcom View Post
I guess AMEN is not AMEN to all.

K, I will defend my statements. Keep in mind that I very well know that I will never begin to know as much as the gurus on this site. The Mensas so to speak. They know who they are. I will explain my position in what I will call laymans' terms. A bit simple for a lot of you but it is what I have based my position on.

This all began when I took issue with blanket statements that a booster pump will not increase GPM. And I stand by my position that a booster most certainly can increase GPM. It will not always do so, but it can. And this is in direct opposition to "a booster cannot increase GPM".

Here is as simple as it gets. Per Rainbird, a 5004 rotor with a 2 GPM nozzle will flow at 1.50 GPM at 25 PSI. This same head and nozzle will flow at 2.3 GPM at 55 PSI.

If I arrive on a property and find 6 of these heads at 25 PSI and the homeowner is not impressed as they are merely "peeing". Total GPM is 9.
I add a booster pump that pushes the PSI to 60 and the heads are fantastic. But the GPM is now 13.8. What increased the flow if not the pump? The water was always available but the PSI was not. Regardless of the pipe size, or meter size, or PVB or whatever, in this instance the booster has increased GPM.

As the flames may come, I will put on the heat shield and learn from folks that do not agree with this. I just do not find a flaw with my logic.

John
The 13.8 gpm flow was already available in the house, unless your booster draws a vacuum on the house plumbing. But your statement draws a tighter circle, and considers only the sprinkler system, and even then, it is more accurate to state that the booster increased supply pressure.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oopsoopsoops
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stand by my Mensas usage as I am not privileged to Mensan terminology.

All of you MENSAN please note.

Yuan
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WB

I agree with you 100 %. Semantics or not, I have simply said that a booster can increase flow. It may not ALWAYS but it CAN. Flaming for the opposite opiners.

And I will also agree that it is more accurate that a booster increases PSI. I have never disagreed with that, but simply took issue with statements that they cannot increase flow.

John
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The booster increases pressure, and in nearly all cases, increased pressure can mean increased system flow. But the increased pressure got there first.

In some cases, a booster pump gets you paid, but the pump doesn't write the check.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bootster:

Why didn't you just say that for me a ways back?

John
Old 06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
The booster increases pressure
Give the man $5.00 bucks for being soooooo smart.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I accept paypal