Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quiet motor for a Bad Boy ZT?

I think I made my original post too long, so more pointed specifics here.

I am interested in a Bad Boy, probably 60", to mow 5-10 acres and run me around 12 + acres. My drive way has steep hills but the areas I mow are flat. Since I operate a dog park on my property I would like to have something that is quiet so it does not disturb people and dogs who are there most of the time. I drove a BB 6000 LightningZ with 26hp KawasakiLC (liquid cooled) engine and it seemed quieter than the Kohler engine. The dealer did not have any of the diesels in stock so I did not get to hear one. Is this one of the quieter BB engines? Would I be correct in assuming the LC engine will run cooler and probably out last an air cooled engine in the hot north Atlanta environment? How do the diesel engines compare to the gas engines in terms of noise?

Thanks for any & all information.

Last edited by MacMitch; 06-29-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey man, the diesel screams, its deafning, but the 35hp is mean. The 26hp LC is definately the quietest bad boy engine available, you can talk over it pretty calmly. It is my best seller over the past 4 seasons, they last longer, burn less fuel, the 26hp LC was rated the best gas motor to put on a lawn mower several years in a row... They also make aftermarket noise reducers too, you might check into that. So far knock on wood, I haven't broke into a 26hp, except to replace coils. They advertise lasting 50% longer than air-cooled

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the favor of the reply Retro dog. Just the information I needed. I figured the diesel was loud, my hearing has gotten bad, probably from many hours on the Kabota diesel without ear protection. I did learn though, now I keep head phones on the tractor all the time.

Maybe you can answer another question for me. The dog club we have needs 20-40 acres of field to put tracks in for trials. I may have the occasional need to mow fields of that size. The BB 6000 I was looking at lists it as for 3+ acres. Can I do 5-8 acres regularly with such a mower without wearing it out quickly? How about occasionally mowing the much larger fields?

I guess I have to make some compromises though. The most pressing need is for something that I can mow quickly & quietly with while the park is in use. The park is open 6 days a week dawn to dusk so I have to work while the park is in use.

Thanks again,

Last edited by MacMitch; 06-29-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is a full commercial machine 12cc Parker pumps with a 9 quart hydro system and a 3000+ hour lc Kawasaki. It is made to mow all day long 6 days a week if need be. The 3 acre thing has to be a weird misprint. The mz for 3000 is made for a 1 and half acre yard, the Zt is 5 to 7 acre, and pup plus is full commercial. The only thing you might think about is when your place gets away from you the overgrowth will bog the 26 down a little more than the big blocks or diesel, other than that you should be happy with it, I would recommend the optional foot assist also, it will come in handy out there on that big place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Again very helpful Retrodog,

I will still have the tractor and since my 5' Bush Hog has not seen much use in the past few years it is still in good condition. It should serve if I have to handle something heavy. The truth is though, I have too many people using the place to let the mowing slip much. The attractiveness of our park area seems to be our major marketing feature and we have new people looking the park over regularly. I use to let the grass get long enough to make some seed a couple times a year. I am at the point now that I am going to have to put seed and fertilizer out at least once a year instead of growing my own.

My neighbors have frequently let their pasture get out of hand and then asked me to fix it in the past. I don't think that will happen much any more as I have reached an agreement with the neighbors for me to maintain their field regularly. I have permission to track my dogs on their field, which helps me out a great deal, so I plan to watch it closely too.