Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Trying to start

I am 18 years old and i want to start a lawn mowing business but i am also going to college. I don't really know where to start and will appreciate any help. Also I was wondering if i get my business registered and insured will that affect my financial aid or would it be better if the business was on my parents and having me as there employee. Thank you
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Best thing to do and how i started. Get a few lawns and use the equipment you already have at your house. Get insurance shouldn't be a ton of money but get that and register the business. Get a few accounts and just take it slow and as you build up the accounts buy the better stuff.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the best way to get customers because i was told that if your business is not registered you cant pass out fliers or door hangers
Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

You can pass out fliers or anything without being registered. I would do what the madman said above and wait till you get a few accounts and then get insurance and licensed. I would hate to have to pay a bill every month for insurance with no money coming in.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I know it is a bit late to start getting customers but you think if i get some fliers and pass them out will i get any customers
Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMulch View Post
I know it is a bit late to start getting customers but you think if i get some fliers and pass them out will i get any customers
Yes!
Customers want what they want when they want it. I am signing up new customers at all times of the year.
The most important thing is make your fliers look good!
Good luck!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What do you think i should put on the flier and should i make my own or order and how many should i get or make
Thanks for all the help
Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

The best way to do it is honestly word of mouth. Its free and gets around. Have your parents ask people they know at their jobs, their friends, or whatever else if they would be interested. Then they see you doing a good job and you ask them to refer to people. I honestly have never spent a penny on advertising and have 57 customers. In my opinion my flyer is the job i do for the people. I treat every job as a audition for the next lawn i might get. If people see you half assing the lawn and stuff they won't approach you. They see you doing decent work and busting your chops out there they will give it a shot.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMulch View Post
What do you think i should put on the flier and should i make my own or order and how many should i get or make
Thanks for all the help
I was in a similar situation, I just wanted a few lawns for pocket money while I was in school and working another job. I had someone make my flier for me, you can get a little help at the local copy store at a low cost. My first flier said; Call Mark for lawn mowing and other lawn and garden needs. No company name, etc. I printed one ream of paper (500 copies) and never got them all passed out. My first 250 fliers got me six lawns and a couple of shrub pruning jobs.

If you do get the license and insurance (and you should), it will probably not effect your student loan status, unless you make a lot of money. But look over your loan papers and call your school's financial advisor so you know how to do the best for yourself.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys