Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Found 2 trucks I like, help me decide

After searching for a year or so, I've found two trucks I am interested in. I need it for my growing business to haul decent loads like a packed mower trailer and bigger loads like a very heavy dump trailer (gravel, dirt, 14,000 max). I haul a bobcat quite often, and the truck would be sharing duties with my 2006 F250 (no 6.0 jokes, mines been ok so far). Both of these trucks are diesel, with milage below 100k, autos, and crew cab. Tell me what you guys think I should go with.

Option 1: 2001 F250 SRW - for price (within budget)
Option 2: 2004 Dodge 3500 DRW - for price+$5k (slightly over budget)

Both are in about the same shape with same features. The 250 would probably do what I want it to since my 6.0 does ALL of it right now, but will I be kicking my myself for passing up the dual rear wheel truck.

I've done my research on the Fords, but don't know a lot about the Dodges. This is only the 2nd truck I've bought. What are some of the obvious and maybe not-so-obvious things to look for and compare between the two?

TIA
Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to be prepared for the extra maintenance costs of duallys if you want to go that route.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

what are the extra costs other than tires?

The big ? for me is the transmissions. If I leave the motors stock other than maybe exhaust, will they survive 200k miles? After that I don't mind rebuilding. I pull alot of hills, not mountains, but hills and this truck will have a 7-10k lb trailer most of the time with an occasional heavier load.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
You have to be prepared for the extra maintenance costs of duallys if you want to go that route.
There isn't that much difference. Maybe, with my dually, the brakes are more expensive, but even with my 19.5 inch rims I'm able to get re-treads for the rear tires so that extra cost is negligible.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats kinda what I figured.

So back to the question. Which truck should I lean towards? I will be trying to get the price down on the dually, but I'm not sure since its a pretty good deal already. I'm going to go by there again tomorrow, so I'm looking for any new advice.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking for something that can handle the heavier loads, I'd go with the Dodge just because it is the DRW. I know only a little bit about Dodges but I think 2004 is actually one of the years that has the better transmission (maybe it was 2003 that they switched to the better transmissions?).

The 2001 Ford would be a good truck and the 7.3 engine should last you for quite a while but I don't think it would be any upgrade from your current F250, in fact I believe the towing capacity is actually less than your current truck.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I think your right, the capacity numbers are a little lower. However, I'll still have my current truck, which has been handling my loads so far. I'm really looking for a 2nd truck incase my first goes down and to help spread the milage a little bit.