Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thinking about a F350 dump truck - hydraulic or electric?

Maybe it's time. Lotsa used F350 dump beds for sale out there.

What should I look for in the dump bed? Are there different types, i.e. hydraulic or electric? (I'm asking this 'cause I don't know. All I know is the big dump trucks look like hyraulic to me...)

Which is best?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro is nice and fast. But you need a PTO on the truck for it to work and you truck has to be running.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are 2 options, but both operate a hydraulic ram on the bed. 1. PTO driven using the engine's power transmited through an auxiliary driveshaft connected to a hydraulic pump. 2. Electric motor running a hyraulic pump. Both systems have there own pros and cons.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be totally off but I believe an electric will require a battery. If you have a dead battery = no dumping (Not truck battery but battery to power lift). I learned that with my dump trailer, I could be way off though.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Pit you are off. The electric version runs off the trucks battery. Green you are off too on these small trucks the pto is directly attached to the transmission which has a internal gear that drives the pto.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Electric motor dumps are so freaking slow....

PTO is the way to go if you can...you can be on your way by the time the other guy with the electric motor is still going up.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-02-2011, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroZTR View Post
Pit you are off. The electric version runs off the trucks battery. Green you are off too on these small trucks the pto is directly attached to the transmission which has a internal gear that drives the pto.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not in all case's, Some are setup with there own battery that remains charged off the trucks charging system, Better the amperage the fast it will raise and drop, a near dead battery will def be slow as all hell, so even with the dual batteries in my PSD Id still run a slave battery just for the dump.

04 duramax crew cab w/flatbed

21", 33" WB, Trimmer & blower let the lowballing begin yes I have chainsaws big & small, polesaws & more..... if it's orange & white it turns me on

Landscaping Design, Installing both Hard & Softscapes
Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently have two with pto, a 67 chevy C60 and a 81 GMC 3500, both with 4 speed trans. They both are dead on reliable and came on the trucks when new. The only downside is it is a little harder to get the hang of spreading gravel, because of the design of a pto, you have to either have the the trans in neutral with the clutch out or in gear with the clutch out, when the clutch is in the pto is disengaged.

I have also used newer models with electric over hydrolic and they have been mostly auto trans trucks, as a pto for autos are avalabile they are much more expensive than a elec over hydro. for most people a EOH is much easier to get the hang of using. as in either type you also have the option of gravity down or power down and it is a personal prefrence.

If you are converting to a dump and are buying new parts, EOH is the way to go as it is cheaper and instal is easier, if buying a truck with a dump instaled it is more a matter of the condition of the truck it self than witch type of pump power it has.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Groundskeeping View Post
I currently have two with pto, a 67 chevy C60 and a 81 GMC 3500, both with 4 speed trans. They both are dead on reliable and came on the trucks when new. The only downside is it is a little harder to get the hang of spreading gravel, because of the design of a pto, you have to either have the the trans in neutral with the clutch out or in gear with the clutch out, when the clutch is in the pto is disengaged.

I have also used newer models with electric over hydrolic and they have been mostly auto trans trucks, as a pto for autos are avalabile they are much more expensive than a elec over hydro. for most people a EOH is much easier to get the hang of using. as in either type you also have the option of gravity down or power down and it is a personal prefrence.

If you are converting to a dump and are buying new parts, EOH is the way to go as it is cheaper and instal is easier, if buying a truck with a dump instaled it is more a matter of the condition of the truck it self than witch type of pump power it has.
If your looking to spread gravel in a 1 ton size and looking to putting on a dump. Take a look at a central hydraulic system. Can raise and lower the box on the fly. Also easier for snow plows, and salters. Problem is cost.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

We have all electric pumps on our 1 ton dumps and they work just fine. Yes, they are a little slower but its not terrible. And we just keep the trucks running while we lift the boxes to make sure the battery doesn't die.

And there may be lots of dump bodies out there but its not just about the pumps. We have all aluminum bodies and we just keep swapping them over from one truck to the next when we upgrade.

Landscape Design & Construction
Ontario Canada
www.heritagestone.ca

Tags
dump truck , dump trucks