Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
Actually the retaining wall is on rear of the property. The slope was from the rear of my house towards the rear of the property. So by putting the wall in the rear of the property and filling it, we were able to have a lawn area. Not sure of the slope.
I assume they put in drainage for the retaining wall?

Quote:
My area is Suffolk county, new York.
Too general. PM me if you don't want to disclose your city on a public forum. I would need a minimum of city and ideally street (but not address). At least city and compass direction with respect to the downtown of the city.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I assume they put in drainage for the retaining wall?

Unknown, will contact landscaper.
Too general. PM me if you don't want to disclose your city on a public forum. I would need a minimum of city and ideally street (but not address). At least city and compass direction with respect to the downtown of the city.
Will PM you.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Will PM you.
Your soil is listed as cut and fill with the restricting layer being lithic bedrock at 40-80 inches. Given it is cut and fill, there is almost no data on the soil. I pulled a report with some (not all) the information that is available. It has a map of your area and soils found in that area, along with the descriptions of the soil types, chemical, physical, irrigation data. With exception to the description, most all of the other data is not available for your soil. If you want me to post it here I can.

Now that we know this .... no need to find the native soil .... there essentially isn't any. Unless there is another restricting layer (artificially created), a perched water table is probably not the problem either. Beyond taking the steps already suggested to fill in the lawn (aerate, seed, compost top dress), maybe it is time you posted your irrigation schedule.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, two zones cover that area. Each zone was set for 14 minutes. I scaled it back to ten and I'm going to change the Hunter nozzle from a 6 to a 3. Tomorrow, I will pick up some compost, top dress the lawn and proceed from there.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2005 turf tiger, read the article about gaps in the clutch, when I pull ou the switch the deck wont engage, I don't know where the clutch is. The test I did to see if the switch was bad was pulled it out to see if it would start while unpluged, it would not start, so I plluged it back in, it started could someone help me this would save a little money if i can fix it myself
Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, two zones cover that area. Each zone was set for 14 minutes. I scaled it back to ten and I'm going to change the Hunter nozzle from a 6 to a 3. Tomorrow, I will pick up some compost, top dress the lawn and proceed from there.
Don't go switching nozzles without knowing the impact of doing it. You don't use the same nozzle in all your rotors unless they are all the same arc. Also need the complete irrigation schedule, not just the runtime ... which btw is mighty low given rotors. Also describe what the zones cover and environmental conditions for each. For example, do the zones water both lawn and landscape? Do the zones have overlapping coverage? Does a single zone span both shade and sun regions?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Don't go switching nozzles without knowing the impact of doing it. You don't use the same nozzle in all your rotors unless they are all the same arc. Also need the complete irrigation schedule, not just the runtime ... which btw is mighty low given rotors. Also describe what the zones cover and environmental conditions for each. For example, do the zones water both lawn and landscape? Do the zones have overlapping coverage? Does a single zone span both shade and sun regions?
Kiril,

Ill try and answer your questions as best as possible. The original schedule was set for the rear lawn was 15 minutes every day. There is one bed of flowers/bushed that gets watered in that zone. Picture two zones in the yard(rear lawn). One for the North side, one for the south side. The zones do overlap, slightly based on the arc. All zones were installed with #7 nozzles. All heads are Hunter rotaries. While out there today, the zone was hitting that wet area(target area) and it was still swampy....
Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation everyday... 'puddling' has most likely occurred... and that doesn't go away by letting it dry out a bit...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Kiril,

Ill try and answer your questions as best as possible. The original schedule was set for the rear lawn was 15 minutes every day. There is one bed of flowers/bushed that gets watered in that zone. Picture two zones in the yard(rear lawn). One for the North side, one for the south side. The zones do overlap, slightly based on the arc. All zones were installed with #7 nozzles. All heads are Hunter rotaries. While out there today, the zone was hitting that wet area(target area) and it was still swampy....
First thing, you need to check your nozzles. Like I said, unless they are all the same arc, you should not have all the same nozzles.

Second, you are irrigating way too frequently.

Third, the irrigation was not designed properly.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
First thing, you need to check your nozzles. Like I said, unless they are all the same arc, you should not have all the same nozzles.

Second, you are irrigating way too frequently.

Third, the irrigation was not designed properly.
I'm not sure if they're al the same nozzles or not. Fwiw they are all hunter rotaries.
What would be a good irrigating schedule?
Posted via Mobile Device