Register free!

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Growth Regulator help needed

Can someone give me a useful thread on using grown regulators. I picked up a big account and it has some heck of hills on it. Is gr worth it? just trying to find out who uses what and what rates. can you spray it in the summer? And most important does it work?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sprayed atrimmec on some shrubs at my grandmothers house. Luckily, she allowed me to experiment, as this is the first time I have ever sprayed shrubs with anything.

I have used it on ligustrums at 1.5 oz per gallon. Sprayed just before the point of run off. Air temps 80-85* In early April. No discoloration, no leaf curl. Occasional shoot growth. (3-5 shoots per shrub, approximately 2") Other than that no horizontal, or vertical growth.

I sprayed the same day/ pattern some Elaeagnus. I spray these at 2 oz per gallon. Her lco said he trims the shoots approximately 2-3", but there are several. No discoloration, no leaf curl.

I spoke to a friend who owns a large landscape company here, and has been using PGR's for years. He said he has sprayed Elaeagnus at 4 oz per gallon in mid spring with very little discoloration and very little leaf curl, but did not grow for the entire season with a fresh cut appearance. Zero shoot growth. He would not recommend 4 oz per gallon to anyone though, 3 oz per gallon MAX.

So maybe next year, I can comment on the 3 oz per gallon rate.

I sprayed some loropetalums, indian hawthorns, and privets at 2 oz's per gallon, and there was a slight leaf curl, and very little leaf discoloration. Only to the loropetalums? Discoloration was mainly at the tips where I trimmed the shrubs last. I have seen zero growth on these as well. But lateral growth has impressed me greatly.

I sprayed some boxwoods at 2 oz per gallon. No discoloration, no leaf curl. Shrubs have not grown at all. Except 1, I ran out of mix at the very last boxwood and part of the backside was missed, but is in the back of the house so her lco just trims it once a month. I couldnt see mixing up a gallon of mix for literally 2 ft2. Stuffs not cheap.

I have never sprayed any shrubs above the magical 90*F. And this is my first year using it. But once I become licensed, (I can take the test later this month or in August), I will use it on my own customers yards.

When I go by her house again, I will take some pictures if I remember it. Her health is not doing to well, so she is in and out of the hospital. I don't take care of her property, she has had the same fella since like 1982. I think I have him hooked on atrimmec too. He hasnt had to trim any shrubs except the boxwoods and occasional Elaeagnus

Another friend of mine used atrimmec on some privets and boxwoods a month ago (temps were 95-100*F+) He said at the recommended rate, it burnt the privets and part of the boxwoods. He said he even sprayed in the morning like the instructions say. But they are recovering, filling laterally very well he said. He said he did use an ornamental fertilizer a month before spraying them.

Maybe some others have some opinions. Good luck. I cant wait to spray the stuff commercially. It will cut my time on 3 properties I know for sure by 2/3rds. I trim 3 yards for almost an hour.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlymowedlawns View Post
Can someone give me a useful thread on using grown regulators. I picked up a big account and it has some heck of hills on it. Is gr worth it? just trying to find out who uses what and what rates. can you spray it in the summer? And most important does it work?

Thanks
New

First we need to know the type of grass you are trying to control. What you are asking about is called CHEMICAL MOWING (do a search). Your goal is to cut this area as little as possible. I can't help you on cool season turf but I can on Warm Season turf.

One major problem in controlling growth is Poly-stands. A growth regulator can work on one grass and not the other. Remember also growth regulator act as Herbicides at higher rates. You will have a learning curve to climb when dealing with Chemical Mowing.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oops I need to read everyones entire post. I sprayed our shrubs. Not lawn.

In fact, I dont know of anyone that uses it around here on lawns. I have taken a few classes where the manufacturer preached about using PGR's on lawns and stuff, but It was a lightly touched subject.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies back. Sorry I forgot to mention. It is some fescue, dallisgrass, crabgrass clover. Wish I could just round up it. I wish that some people that grade would have to do the maintenance on some slopes they make. It took 3 men to weedeat 6 hrs the whole thing. Have to do it every other week. So 3 men at 6hrs= 18 hrs total. Average of 11.00 per hour. Thats what it takes around here to get dependable help.

So close to 200 bucks every other week.

Just trying to see if "chemical mowing" would help. thanks RIC. I will have to do some more searches.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlymowedlawns View Post
Thanks for the replies back. Sorry I forgot to mention. It is some fescue, dallisgrass, crabgrass clover. Wish I could just round up it. I wish that some people that grade would have to do the maintenance on some slopes they make. It took 3 men to weedeat 6 hrs the whole thing. Have to do it every other week. So 3 men at 6hrs= 18 hrs total. Average of 11.00 per hour. Thats what it takes around here to get dependable help.

So close to 200 bucks every other week.

Just trying to see if "chemical mowing" would help. thanks RIC. I will have to do some more searches.
New

Fescue is Cool Season Grass. As I say in my first post I can't help you with Cool Season Grass. But that is no reason to give up on Chemical Mowing. What is important is you are looking out side the box. Chemical mowing is great for for many area. Steep Hill sides are a great place as are Fence lines or Ruff ground Etc. I actually cut my own grass 8 times all of last year in a year round growing season. BTW My yard was still the greenest on my block.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.