Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2011, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They have been aggressive and chewing off the ornamental grass to the ground. The hostas were all smaller and pulled out of the ground.

The squirrels have also been aggressive and digging holes in lawns and flower beds, pulling up plants and the such.

In other properties I've observed rabbit damage is spring lawns getting chewed to the ground. I feel that they eat on the new grass growth as a food source until other food sources become available later in the year.

So ultimately I feel you've got multiple critter issues. I wouldn't be surprised (without looking) that some of the small dropping are squirrel droppings.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Do repellents work ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Rabbits...

I believe you have a rabbit problem. Rabbits are herbivores that feed on grass and other plant life. They will also leave blighted areas where they have eaten selectively - especially if clover is available. The rabbit does leave small round pelletized feces and in fact they actually pass two types of feces. One of these is reingested or "eaten again" to help process the food even further. Some rabbits den in holes and others above ground. Voles will eat grass as well and will zone in on Hostas and other ornamental plants when available. They leave little furrows or tunnels through the grass and create numerous holes about the size of a silver dollar. They like to inhabit moles tunnels and break through at intervals. Since I saw no sign of mole tunnels or vole holes in the pics I'm confident that it's a rabbit issue. A bittering agent may help train them to stay away from certain areas but trapping and physically removing them or "legally dispatching with lead projectiles" are the other options. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rabbits are herbivores but I have never seen them eating just grass. I have seen them eating clover in lawns with a lot of clover in it. Are bill bugs a problem there? They arent out around here yet but they may be an issue also.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

There is a good amount of clover. This morning I saw him eating in an area at 5a.m.
Later the spot he was in was all blighted. Thanks for input METRO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I am curious what makes the blades become blighted or withered in the spots they have been? I may try liquid fence or get a cage and move them. The property is near a real woody area so if I move them more will probably come. If I get liquid fence does the whole lawn need spraying?. I appreciate everyones 2 cents so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Walking around the yard and noticed a hole near a tree next to roots. The hole was about size of silver dollar. I looked close and there was a mouse with his head poking out. How do I tell if its a mouse or vole? I set couple traps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is an updAte. I killed all the clover 1 month ago and now rabbits don't come around. I had a lot of clover. All the patches grew back in. Trust me the rabbits were the problem. I see them down the street chewing on another lawn with clover. These suckers did some damage. Also I caught 4 voles and haven't caught anymore in last few weeks. Just wanted to report back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Good job! May you sleep easier now....until you hear noises in the attic. ;-)