Register free!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Product that breaks down thatch ???

I realize its microbes that break down thatch but I have a new yard that is quite thick and wanted to know if there is a product that will help.
It is not a matter of watering too much and I wouldn't say the soil is that terribly poor. The type of turf,Emerald zoysia, tends to have that problem. As for compost tea, I could but it is now down right hot (95 +) and thought to use compost or tea have its multiplying effect better in spring.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replenish&subdue View Post
I realize its microbes that break down thatch but I have a new yard that is quite thick and wanted to know if there is a product that will help.
It is not a matter of watering too much and I wouldn't say the soil is that terribly poor. The type of turf,Emerald zoysia, tends to have that problem. As for compost tea, I could but it is now down right hot (95 +) and thought to use compost or tea have its multiplying effect better in spring.
this time of year is peak for microbes, since zoysia has little issues with fungal disease hit the lawn with molasses, 1 ounce per gallon, water it in a bit so it is not left on the leaf but down in the thatch

for other types of grass, fungal disease is beginning, applying molasses would also feed any disease that was on the property
Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia is notorious for fungus here in NC, and I assume the same where ever the humidity and late afternoon showers are similar.
I'd recommend core-areation asap and again next spring soon after greenup and then top dress.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay, split an area and core aerate one and spray molasses on the other area and get back to us
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Okay, split an area and core aerate one and spray molasses on the other area and get back to us
Agreed, Bill.
Dark molasses is a tremendous way to speed up decomposition of thatch, particularly in the lawns of higher-end, demanding customers.
Since the fall of 2009 we've made biannual dark molasses applications part of the yearly program for every 100% bluegrass, or otherwise largely bluegrass-dominant lawns.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Agreed, Bill.
Dark molasses is a tremendous way to speed up decomposition of thatch, particularly in the lawns of higher-end, demanding customers.
Since the fall of 2009 we've made biannual dark molasses applications part of the yearly program for every 100% bluegrass, or otherwise largely bluegrass-dominant lawns.
What are the 2 times per year that you do that? Early summer then late summer?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What are the 2 times per year that you do that? Early summer then late summer?
In general, yes.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
In general, yes.
thanks... I've started that myself and figured those were about the best times, only I'm thinking of 3 and the 2nd one coming up now...