Register free!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Use Ammonium sulfate as an adjuvant with your glyphosate or 2,4-D, you will burn down that jasmine within a week.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Use Ammonium sulfate as an adjuvant with your glyphosate or 2,4-D, you will burn down that jasmine within a week.
South

1/5 pound per gallon of Ammonium sulfate as an adjutant is an acidified and lower the pH of the glyphosate which is already an acid. For that reason Glyphosate works better and the Nitrogen help with foliar uptake. The lower the pH the faster Glyphosate works. But it is the 2,4-D that gives the quick burn down and we see response on herbaceous weeds in 3 to days.

Glyphosate Stump Cut Method can Kill mighty oak trees if applied correctly. I have actually used the Stump cut method on Brazilian Pepper trees and gotten a total kill. However Garlon 4 is better.

In Edit

Tallrick

I have used water softener salt (Potassium Chloride)for total kill outs where run off would carry an chemicals into the Gulf. I feel it is a lot safer and worth the slower resonse time and need to be watered in.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Last edited by Ric; 05-14-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Tallrick

I have used water softener salt (Potassium Chloride)for total kill outs where run off would carry an chemicals into the Gulf. I feel it is a lot safer and worth the slower resonse time and need to be watered in.
I have not thought of using potassium chloride but that's an excellent idea! Actually I was not aware that water softener salt was KCl and not NaCl. Great ideas based on real world experience.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have not thought of using potassium chloride but that's an excellent idea! Actually I was not aware that water softener salt was KCl and not NaCl. Great ideas based on real world experience.
Tallrick

I had a lady blame me because nothing would grow around her water sofener tank. I tried to explain to her that the salt in her water sofener tank was leaking out and poisoning the ground. Her husband who was a chemist finally came to my rescue and she finally believed him but never drank the water again because it was KCl the same as Mortons sells as Light Salt.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My neighbor at my shop owns a water softener company and has pallets upon pallets of salt. They always throw salt on the weeds and it burns out in a day.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Try Ric's suggestion about a broad leaf weed killer for the Jasmine because Roundup will not hurt it. I spray RU in my Jasmine beds all the time to control weeds because it seems to have zero effect on the Jasmine.
At what rate? over the top of the bed or just spot treating the weed foliage? Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moved to Texas View Post
At what rate? over the top of the bed or just spot treating the weed foliage? Thanks
I sprayed the entire jasmine and it didnt do a thing quikpro at 1.5 oz per gallon. I bought some three way lesco that took care of it.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Ric;4027339]

Glyphosate Stump Cut Method can Kill mighty oak trees if applied correctly. I have actually used the Stump cut method on Brazilian Pepper trees and gotten a total kill. However Garlon 4 is better.

QUOTE]

the active in garlon is triclopyr you can also find this in some garden sections in the big box store, i actually bought some at the local hardware store. it's sold as stump rid and is sold in smaller bottle. $10.00