Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Bidding on bank locations

My company has been offered, along with a dozen or so more companies no doubt, the opportunity to bid on individual banking locations for a major national bank.

Now, we've done companies before, but I have never seen the type of scope that these people have sent out for evaluation.

For example, the company that is overseeing the bid process has as some of its stipulations things like:

* No fertilizer not approved by the city of San Francisco may be used (you can tell just from the city what limitations you are under there).
* No string trimmers to be used in edging of any kind
* mulch must be applied at a rate of no less than 2.5 inches, but no higher than 3 inches.

You get the idea.

Now, I have visited MANY of these bank locations, and to say that practically none of the them meet the stipulations set forth in this scope would be a massive understatement.

If you were to actually bid these banks and use the exact specifications they set forth, the numbers would be insane.

So my questions here are ones of not just integrity, but of practicality: should the bids entered be based on the presumption that the job we do would be done as we currently do them, and not the micro-managed way they lay out? Should the bid reflect the prices that they are asking for, or for a "get in the door and hope for the best" mentality?

I know the type of work we do, and to say it is thorough is putting it mildly, so underbidding would cost us more money than company X who just does it and goes home, but I am sure that bidding taking into account the organics and pesticide types they allow, along with the other things that are nuts, will take us out of the running altogether.

Anyone else here have experience dealing with banking centers and this type of expectations?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I would try to talk to the people who have done it before or companies who have worked for the group putting out the bids.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh, the dilemma. Do I bid by the specs or not. My answer is, that if you are a full service company, bid the job the way you normally do. This is not a landscape job where you could end up on the hook for a lot of money, nobody is going to come out and measure the mulch, no one in NC is going to check and see if the fert is legal in San Fran, and you shouldn't be edging with a weedeater anyway ( not that they are going to check on that either.)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Bid it to make money on the specs. The reason they probably have the specs like that is because they got burnt in the past. Ive done a ton of work for banks and yes they can be picky. Its not the headquarters you are dealing with its the individuals inside the bank that call and complain to headquarters. Do you want to bid it cheap and then ruin your name?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Do I bid by the specs or not.
You know.....is it really worth it, in the long run, to seriously contemplate this question?

If you decide to not bid it by the specs, you shouldn't be upset when someone beats your pants off. They'll either be stupid....or, they just decided to out-cheat you.