Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,786
David - where will you be in MN?
I am hoping Rochester area. I would love to try yours out and pull some plugs.
If only in the Twin Cities area, I may have trouble getting up there with spring business kicking in for me.

Thanks,
DA
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSolutionsCP's Avatar
LawnSolutionsCP LawnSolutionsCP is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 907
Should be next week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Exact Rototilling's Avatar
Exact Rototilling Exact Rototilling is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zone: 5B
Posts: 4,491
Ok now that XT5's have been shipped and delivered...chime in with your input.

Especially if you own both units.
__________________

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
kennc38's Avatar
kennc38 kennc38 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Ok now that XT5's have been shipped and delivered...chime in with your input.

Especially if you own both units.
My input wouldn't be fair until I've used it for at least one season. Just taking it out of the box, firing up the engine and running it up and down the yard once or twice won't give much constructive input. Will be more than happy to do so around the end of October.
__________________
My Stuff:

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
hackitdown hackitdown is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,208
I have an XT5 on its way by truck right now.
__________________

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
aeration aeration is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 68
While everyone on lawnsite is comparing the aerators and debating on whether or not Toro/LS is good for the industry, I purchased a LS Dual Hydro. Fall can't come fast enough!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
kennc38's Avatar
kennc38 kennc38 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeration View Post
While everyone on lawnsite is comparing the aerators and debating on whether or not Toro/LS is good for the industry, I purchased a LS Dual Hydro. Fall can't come fast enough!!!
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up purchasing it? Just hope you're able to find repair/replacement parts in the future if needed.
__________________
My Stuff:

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,522
2011 Iowa Turfgrass aerator results

Three aerators were compared at the field today: LS 21" hydro, TURFCO XT5 24" hydro, Plugr 855. Loam soil with minimal amount of soil moisture.

Ground speed: TURFCO & Plugr were both winners, as their ground speed were identical. The LS unit was much slower, and quite disappointing.

Plug depth & number of plugs: The 855 Plugr was the winner. XT5 was 2nd*. LS was 3rd.

Ease of use: XT5 was #1. Much easier to turn. Much smoother & quieter. Very easy to raise the tines. LS was #2. Plugr was #3.

*Note: The LS aerator had all four weights. The TURFCO XT5 had 2 weights and was only set in the "shallow plug" position (not the deep plug setting).

Easiest to service: XT5 -- extremely easy to get to whatever you want.

The above are the opinions of those who demoed these units today. I personally noticed the most interest in the XT5.

I also have videos that were taken today that show the stark differences between the XT5 & the LS aerator. I can forward them via email, but that's all I know how to do right now, cuz I don't know how to post the videos on lawnsite.com.

Which of the 3 would work for me? It would be the XT5 due to ease of use, number of plugs, and depth of plugs.

Regarding the LS with caster wheels? The videos look very cool, but nobody around here has first-hand experience with it. So far, no midwest Toro dealers have plans to sell them. (maybe later)

The Plugr 855 was awesome, but it's a different class of aerator. (kinda like the LA 28). Very nice unit, nice company. Keep in mind that I have never used the 855. The new 855 also eliminated moving parts to make it more bullet proof. I only saw it operated by their rep today (nice guy) So I cannot say good or bad about it. Yet it pulled deeper & more plugs than the LS & TURFCO hydro aerators. My only concern would be operator fatigue, but don't quote me on this.
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
CHARLES CUE's Avatar
CHARLES CUE CHARLES CUE is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BURTON WV
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Three aerators were compared at the field today: LS 21" hydro, TURFCO XT5 24" hydro, Plugr 855. Loam soil with minimal amount of soil moisture.

Ground speed: TURFCO & Plugr were both winners, as their ground speed were identical. The LS unit was much slower, and quite disappointing.

Plug depth & number of plugs: The 855 Plugr was the winner. XT5 was 2nd*. LS was 3rd.

Ease of use: XT5 was #1. Much easier to turn. Much smoother & quieter. Very easy to raise the tines. LS was #2. Plugr was #3.

*Note: The LS aerator had all four weights. The TURFCO XT5 had 2 weights and was only set in the "shallow plug" position (not the deep plug setting).

Easiest to service: XT5 -- extremely easy to get to whatever you want.

The above are the opinions of those who demoed these units today. I personally noticed the most interest in the XT5.

I also have videos that were taken today that show the stark differences between the XT5 & the LS aerator. I can forward them via email, but that's all I know how to do right now, cuz I don't know how to post the videos on lawnsite.com.

Which of the 3 would work for me? It would be the XT5 due to ease of use, number of plugs, and depth of plugs.

Regarding the LS with caster wheels? The videos look very cool, but nobody around here has first-hand experience with it. So far, no midwest Toro dealers have plans to sell them. (maybe later)

The Plugr 855 was awesome, but it's a different class of aerator. (kinda like the LA 28). Very nice unit, nice company. Keep in mind that I have never used the 855. The new 855 also eliminated moving parts to make it more bullet proof. I only saw it operated by their rep today (nice guy) So I cannot say good or bad about it. Yet it pulled deeper & more plugs than the LS & TURFCO hydro aerators. My only concern would be operator fatigue, but don't quote me on this.
So larry you say it's essayer to lower the tines on xt5 than the LS aerator.

I demoed both at GIE last year and they were both real hard to lower the tines. That was a real disappointment but maybe Turfco made a change ?

Both machines were about the same in ease to turn But the XT5 i demoed was noisey. Maybe there were changes made here to.

try youtube and you can be famous

Charles Cue
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,786
Larry - hope you had a good time at the field trials. I could not make it down....being solo still too much to do to take a total day off.
Thanks for the update on the XT5.....I am going to make my call to order soon.
Here is what I want to know: how much is physical effort reduced %wise over using a std unit like a Ryan? 50% less effort? More/less?
Also, does the XT5 come with the weights when you buy one?

Also, feel free to shoot those vids to my e-mail address - you have it.

DA
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.08254 seconds with 9 queries