Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this is a competition demo, why wouldn't the XT5 be set for max depth? That just doen't make sense. Who wants to pull shallow plugs? What was the LS set at?

As far as speed, I cannot set my LS at max speed and keep up with it very well walking, so the speed comparison also doesn't make sense. Just sayin'.

Concerning number of plugs; it is my understanding that the 24" Turfco has the same number of tines as the 21" LS, so how more plugs? Am I wrong on this tine count? If anyone knows of this fact, please state the number of tines on the XT5.

As far as ease of use. For anyone who has ever used the old standard style aerators out there, you know how cumbersome they are to operate. The new hydros are night and day! That is not an overstatement. I would take any hydro machine out there vs operating another "old style" machine. To raise and drop tines on my LS takes some effort. A hard push down or hard pull up on a single handle. The thing is, with the hydro machines you only have to do this once on a property unless crossing concrete or something you don't want to roll the tines over. My point is, the effort required to raise/lower tines is almost a non issue anymore so this part of the comparison is almost silly.

I am not endorsing any machine. I am only stating the facts on what I know from what I have operated.

Lastly, what does it matter now? You can't get a LS machine now anyway so go order your new Turfco. The season is almost upon us!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Larry - hope you had a good time at the field trials. I could not make it down....being solo still too much to do to take a total day off.
Thanks for the update on the XT5.....I am going to make my call to order soon.
Here is what I want to know: how much is physical effort reduced %wise over using a std unit like a Ryan? 50% less effort? More/less?
Also, does the XT5 come with the weights when you buy one?

Also, feel free to shoot those vids to my e-mail address - you have it.

DA
DA these machines are real easy to operate

You demoed one it was the XT5 or iam i wrong

I would say more like 75% less effort

You need to order sounds like Turfco will be backed up soon if toro don't give out some good solid info soon

These are nice machines

Charles Cue
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

easier to lift + more

Yes, it's much easier than the LS 21". We've never seen the smaller TURFCO hydro aerator, but their new 24" XT5 hydro was so easy to lift/drop the tines that I could hardly believe it (almost effortless).

The 24" XT5 was the quietest of all 3, but the LS unit was a close 2nd. The Plugr was very noisy >> it sounded like he was hitting rocks, yet he wasn't. I thought that was kinda weird??

The 24" XT5 turned "way easier" than the LS & Plugr -- turfcobob was so busy that I was not able to get all the details on how their new aerator is different from their 21" unit, but one thing was the outer tines are free-wheeling so it makes it much easier to turn. Folks that have viewed the 2 videos will notice this, cuz I made tight turns with the tines down while not tearing up turf.

Regarding the Plugr....specs say it's a 30 inch effective width, but the rep told me it's only 27 1/2 inches. I also thought the XT5 had about the same effective pattern.. Looking at brochures is one thing, but a side by side comparison is a whole lot better.....especially regarding a buying decision.

Bottom line: If I were buying an aerator, it would be the 24" XT5. Or else the caster wheel Toro/Lawn Solutions aerator (but I don't know the performance, future availability, or what's gunna happen cuz of their patent violations).

my 2 cents, and the 2 cents of many who attended the 2011 Iowa Turf Show

Maybe somebody smarter than me can download the 2 videos on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
So larry you say it's essayer to lower the tines on XT5 than the LS aerator.

I demoed both at GIE last year and they were both real hard to lower the tines. That was a real disappointment but maybe Turfco made a change ?

Both machines were about the same in ease to turn But the XT5 i demoed was noisey. Maybe there were changes made here to.

try youtube and you can be famous

Charles Cue
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi buddy - I just sent you the two ISU aerator videos. (If you did not receive them, please let me know)

Don't know about % of physical effort. But the XT5 is about the same as using a self-propelled lawn mower. If I were using the XT5, I would make make a perimeter pass & then go in "circles" to eliminate "making passes" (even though you easily could).

Not sure if the 2 weights come with the 24" XT5, cuz we used TURFCO's "payment plan". The XT5 has only 2 weights compared to the 4 weights that Lawn Solution requires to pull decent plugs.

We had two LS aerators, but their plug depth sucked. So we sold one & kept one. Our LS units came with only one weight, and they only pulled one-inch plugs at best. Then we e-mailed & called several times trying to order extra weights.....no response (we were desprate) After weeks of trying, we finally were able to get some guy on the phone. He said we needed 2 more weights on top, and another weight in the front. I thought -- okay, that's cool. But after MONTHS went by with no aerator weights, I posted on lawnsite. Soon after that, David replied via lawnsite.com saying my "credibility" was sh$t. Meanwhile, we were still waiting for our weights. Bottom line: It took damn near a half a year to get our LS weights. Then to top it off, Lawn Solutions shipped each of the 3 extra weights "separately". This was a total ripoff cuz we were charged UPS shipping for each individual weight.

Folks probably think the Lawn Solutions units & the TURFCO units look alike. I agree, but there are several significant differences regarding design.

here's my little 2 cents >> At first I thought it was "low rent" for a company to copy the exact "color" of competitor's equipment. But when they went so far as to copy technology (U.S patents), that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I hope they become accountable. Kinda like Dupont & Imprellis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Larry - hope you had a good time at the field trials. I could not make it down....being solo still too much to do to take a total day off.
Thanks for the update on the XT5.....I am going to make my call to order soon.
Here is what I want to know: how much is physical effort reduced %wise over using a std unit like a Ryan? 50% less effort? More/less?
Also, does the XT5 come with the weights when you buy one?

Also, feel free to shoot those vids to my e-mail address - you have it.

DA
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased my a LS dually last month. I won't regret it. The latest article I read on Toro/LS aquisition was that Toro was keeping production in Louisville, at least for the short term. That's why they have downtime right now. The 21" will be the "production" version with high volume and rental store sales. The Dually and Ride On will be the premium contractor model.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeration View Post
I purchased my a LS dually last month. I won't regret it. The latest article I read on Toro/LS aquisition was that Toro was keeping production in Louisville, at least for the short term. That's why they have downtime right now. The 21" will be the "production" version with high volume and rental store sales. The Dually and Ride On will be the premium contractor model.
That's what we were told that they will be made in louisville just red.

Maybe in the long run toro will be good for production .

LS was good at ideas but seemed to have problems on the other end.

We will have to wait and see.

Charles Cue
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeration View Post
Where did you find this article? Would be interested in reading it myself. Thanks.

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennc38 View Post
Where did you find this article? Would be interested in reading it myself. Thanks.
Article, anyone?

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can someone please clarify...

I thought the current XT5 for sale (24" model) was the only hydro aerator model Turfco had ever made. I have heard some references to a 21" model, I didn't think they had a previous version of the XT5?? And Turfco has no plans for a dual hydro type aerator, correct?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes only model and I've been watching this for sometime.

The true aeration path width is less than specified. Measure the far left and right tine add an imaginary additional set based on the spacing and that is how.they rate effective width.
Posted via Mobile Device