Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The customer seemed happy with and accepted the price. Split the difference if you wanna be a hero.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you still got the job at the price , make 490 a pallet your new price
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you quote them a certain number of pallets and a price per pallet, or a price to do the job? If you told them it was going to take 7 pallets and it only took, I would refund them $700. After the job is finished, and you know for a fact it was only five pallets.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I got a 100' measuring tape. Wheels can lie. Better to overbid and win than underbid and lose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on how you bid it. I don't really give an exact square footage or pallet count unless they're wanting it. I just say to do these areas its going to be x amount. I estimate by the pallet but that's just for me to come up with a figure. I don't understand how your wheel messed up because if it was screwing up then you'd be short. I see you did mention that you forgot to hit reset so that would up the total area. I over charge every measurement I do because I only like to use whole pieces and not keep piecing it together.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
This is different bc you are talking about materials. If you needed 3 more pallets than what you quoted would you not want to get paid for the additional time and materials?? I always charge for what I use. If I quoted 7 pallets and 5 was needed, they get charged for 5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is not the applicator making the same assumption.....they are estimating what it will cost them in material and labor. If they use less material and labor because the lawn is thick and healthy they should give a refund at the end of the year according to your estimate right? Only charge for what you use right.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Depends on how you bid it. I don't really give an exact square footage or pallet count unless they're wanting it. I just say to do these areas its going to be x amount. I estimate by the pallet but that's just for me to come up with a figure. I don't understand how your wheel messed up because if it was screwing up then you'd be short. I see you did mention that you forgot to hit reset so that would up the total area. I over charge every measurement I do because I only like to use whole pieces and not keep piecing it together.
My price was given as a estimate to replace the damaged areas in the front lawn and a estimate for the back as well. They could not afford the back and front at this time. The back is another 14 pallets......

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
This is not a question you should be asking us. This is a question for yourself are you a honest business man or a dishonest businessman. I am a bottom line kinda of guy, if you need to ask or wonder what to do well then......
You say you are a bottom line kinda of guy.....does that mean you are only concerned with your bottom line?

Is it dishonest to keep this potential extra income because the HO accepted it? Or is it acceptable because I gave a price for the project and they accepted? If you give a price for a project to the customer and it ends up costing you less do you refund them money or do you just consider your profit margins to have increased.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgw View Post
if you still got the job at the price , make 490 a pallet your new price
As tempting as that is we have sod farms that will lay a pallet for .50 a square. I am already pushing the limits in the $350.00 plus range in most cases and it takes a little salesmanship to make them understand why my product is a superior product and they should use it when they can get it installed for $150.00 a pallet cheaper or buy the sod, rent a sod cutter and get some fool to lay it for them for $20 a pallet.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am amazed at how many of you are so willing to just turnover potential profit. When you mow a lawn and it takes less time than estimated do you offer a price break then too.....don't want to overcharge the client you know.

In return does that client offer to pay you more when your equipment breaks down and you spend 1K at the shop getting everything fixed?

If you get a price break on buying sod in bulk or your dealer throws you a break on delivery charges etc.....do you just pass that savings along to the client because it is the ethical thing to do?