Register free!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Drought hurting anyone else but me?

Total rainfall for April/May = 18 in.

Total rainfall for June/July = 1 in.

This is the third consecutive year that the rain has stopped after Memorial day. It's so dry even the crabgrass is brown.

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, you've gotten a lot of rain! I think in my particular area of central Arkansas I've seen about 1/2 inch since the last week of May. And, only about 1 to 2 inches since the end of March. Man, it is dry here! Mowing?? what's that??

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Wow, you've gotten a lot of rain! I think in my particular area of central Arkansas I've seen about 1/2 inch since the last week of May. And, only about 1 to 2 inches since the end of March. Man, it is dry here! Mowing?? what's that??
I suspect your soil profile is vastly different than ours... however with that said drought is drought no mater the profile.

June, July, And August we need at least 1/2 inch of rainfall each week or lawns dry up the next since we have less that 2 in. of topsoil and rock under that. Water holding capacity is non-existant. Cooler temps help but we are in a 30 day run of 95 + temps with heat index over 110. Thats why 18 in. of rain in the spring is useless because it just drains away with all the pre-emergents.

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We have also been in a severe drought condition. The soil is very sandy here and small rain falls do not help. I did not work yesterday or today because rain finally moved in Sunday night. I'd guess we have recieved a couple inches so far and more rain is in the forecast. Its great relief from the fricken 100+ degree weather.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very few of ours is under irrigation. Mowing every 2 weeks - go to every 3 weeks on non-irrigation after today.

Crab is even stressed - good thing is that the 2nd day after spotting the crab it starts turning.

No rain in forecast through next week for us - things are slow.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogjaw View Post
Very few of ours is under irrigation. Mowing every 2 weeks - go to every 3 weeks on non-irrigation after today.

Crab is even stressed - good thing is that the 2nd day after spotting the crab it starts turning.

No rain in forecast through next week for us - things are slow.
We will not mow again until substantial rainfall occurs and it's not even August. The crabgrass will likely not go to seed, I suppose that is a plus. September applications are questionable. I will likely be seeding plenty of lawns if the customers can afford it. Have you looked a seed prices lately. They've doubled!